The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 17

Chapter Fourteen... Family Secrets From The Wolf Side

I had made it my ambition to avoid any of my family members until I had spoken to Jacob. It turned out to be more than just a few hours, though, that I would have to avoid them. As Kellie settled in with my family, mom and dad returned to the cottage to find that I was there, reading silently. I was thinking about hunting, trying not to be turned off by it. I was secretly hoping that my father wouldn't learn my little (or not-so-little) secret from in my head. That would be more awkward than me telling him myself.

But he could tell I was hiding something... it was like the time when I lost the locket that my mom gave me when I was only a few months old, and instead of telling them, I hid my thoughts about it when I knew I was in hearing range of my father. He could tell I was hiding something, and questioned me constantly until I told the truth. I was six at the time, though I looked fourteen. Dad gad that same 'you're hiding something' look on his face, and I wondered if he could hear parts of my thoughts after all. If he could, he never showed it.

"Hey, Ness, what do you want for dinner?" mom asked, searching the kitchen cupboards. Dad stopped her.

"I think Nessie wants to hunt," dad smiled. "It's all she's thinking about."

"Oh," mom sighed. "Good. I want to eat too..." I frowned.

"Eugh!" I scoffed. "I don't feel like blood tonight, mom." Dad looked worried.

"Then why are you thinking about it?" he questioned. Uh-oh... I wasn't the world's best liar. It was a trait that I had unfortunately inherited from my mother. I randomly thought about what my baby would inherit from me. Dad's head snapped up at that thought. It had slipped through.

"Umm, I'm not sure," I lied quickly, eyeing dad's every move. Mom looked confused.

"Am I missing something here?" she asked, worried. I felt guilty; I wanted to tell them, but Jacob had to know first.

"Ask your daughter," dad replied simply. Mom looked at me.

"Renesmee?" she gasped. "Edward? What... what's going on? You know I don't like secrets!"

"Nothing," I whispered. Dad frowned at me.

"Nessie, don't lie to us, please," he sighed. "I know you're a married woman now, but you're still a child to us. And physically, you will always be a teenager. As will we. So... truth time." I looked blankly at him.

"I can't yet," I said truthfully. "Not just yet."

Mom was getting frustrated.

"Oh, God, I hate it when you two do that!" she screamed. "Please! If there is something wrong with my daughter, then I deserve to know! No, I demand to know!"

"There's nothing wrong with me!" I said loudly.

"Not technically," dad sighed.

"Well, then why can't you tell me?" mom begged.

"She can, she chooses not to," dad replied. I decided that dad had figured it out, so I would tell mom. I couldn't guarantee that if I left the house that dad wouldn't tell her anyway. I let dad see all my thoughts... the fact that Carlisle knew... he would understand. He gasped as my thoughts filled his head.

"Don't worry, Bella," dad said randomly. "She isn't going to die. At least I don't think she will."

Mom had let down her shield so that dad could see her thoughts.

"I'm fine, mom," I smiled. I took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant, but I'm fine."

Mom looked stunned.