The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 34

I allowed my parents to have Isabelle for the day whilst I packed up as much as I could. By lunchtime I had packed all of Isabelle's belongings and stored them neatly in the corner of the room. I decided to hunt for lunch today; I could use the extra energy. As I stepped outside of my cottage, I picked up the scent of something. It wasn't an animal, but it wasn't human, either. It was so familiar, yet I couldn't remember where I'd picked it up before.

I turned back toward my cottage, fleeing for my parents' house. This was too bizzare; I had decided that I'd packed enough for the day, and would spend the afternoon with my family.

.........

Two days had passed since I picked up that odd scent outside of my cottage. Now, mom would come with me to help me pack up my belongings, just in case it returned. But so far, I couldn't detect it anymore. I was grateful, though; a scent that was familiar yet so hard to pinpoint couldn't be good news. Finally, today, I managed to finish packing everything ready for the big move.

"Yes!" I shouted as I closed the last box and taped it up. Everything was now stacked neatly in the living room... furniture and all.

"So you mean I don't have to come here with you every single day now?" mom said cheekily. I frowned, then smiled.

"You miss Isabelle when you're here, don't you?" I asked her. She gave me a guilty look.

"Well, you do too, don't you?" she grinned. I smiled.

"Of course! I miss her whenever I'm not with her," I laughed.

"So... when are you going to give me another one?" she asked. I frowned.

"Not anytime soon," I scowled.

"Alice seems to disagree," mom sighed. "She thinks it will be during our time in Alaska."

"Yes, but that's a ten year trip, mom," I argued. "Who's to say it's not gonna be at the end of the ten years?"

"She didn't detail on that," mom whispered. "Don't think she knows herself."

"Sure, sure," I sighed. "Alice knows everything."

"Well, if she knows, she's hiding it well," mom admitted.

"Does she see me and Cody reuniting in the next few weeks?" I asked, hopeful.

"No, she hasn't seen anything like that, sorry," mom sighed. "I wish she would... you two were so happy."

"I know we were," I said sadly. "I just wish we could go back to the way it was, with no complications. But he knows everything about me... he knows as much as Jacob does now!"

"All relationships have complications," mom smiled weakly. "It's just a part of life. Even your dad and I have complications... Jacob, of course, was always one of them."

"I'm beginning to think I'm not meant to have a proper relationship," I mumbled. "I've had two that have both crashed and burnt for different reasons. Who's to say I'll ever find... someone!"

"Don't get yourself down like that, Ness," mom begged. I laughed; she always made me laugh when she begged.

"If you're gonna give me the 'you'll find someone' lecture, you can forget about it," I said, trying to be serious. "I know. I just..."

"I know," mom smiled. "You just like to know you won't spend your life alone, even if you are immortal. I was the same... before I met your dad, I mean. But when I met him... oh, I knew he was something, I just wasn't sure what. I even researched vampires on the internet after talking to Jacob... but, I think I've already told you that."

I laughed.

"Yeah, you have," I chuckled. "But I don't mind... I love your human life stories."

"I remember more the older I get," mom said thoughtfully. "They're a lot... fuzzier than vampire memories. Our minds are so much sharper now... of course, you always remember everyone, remember faces... they just appear clearer."

"New immortal life, new memories," I grinned. "And the old ones from your human life become less relevant, most likely because your new eyes see clearer?"

She sensed that I was mocking her and gave me a light shove.

"Oh, Ness, what would I do without you?" she smiled adoringly. I returned the smile.

"I'm glad to know that whilst I was a surprise, you wouldn't send me back," I said, tears welling in my eyes. "I'm loved!" I laughed lightly.

"You're the best thing that happened to me," mom said truthfully. "After your father, of course. I couldn't need anything more than you two... And Isabelle, as well."

I smiled and mom chose to head back to their cottage on foot. I had my car, as I needed to take some things from the cottage to here for storage. Not for long, though. In just over three weeks, we would all be moving away. I was so nervous about it; I missed Hallie and Kate already. Kate had gone to New Zealand on a family vacation, and wouldn't be back until the day before I left. Hallie was in Mexico with her Mexican relatives, and wouldn't be back until the day I left.

I was walking to the car when I heard something; it was footsteps. Like in some scary movie, I spun around, looking for the culprit. I suddenly picked up that odd scent again. It was so familiar, and so close! I decided I would settle this once and for all.

"Who's there?" I shouted. "Come out, you coward!"

I heard a small laugh, and looked to where the sound came from. My whole body froze as a tall, very familiar figure stepped into view.

"Hello, Renesmee," Jacob said, giving a freakish smile. "Nice to see you again."