The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 37

This particular day, Jacob had requested that Isabelle and I attend a picnic with him. I was against it at first; I would let Isabelle go, of course, but I refused to attend. Jacob, however, managed to pursuade me, and my parents gave me the "don't leave Izzie alone with him, she might kill him" speech. I sighed, and reluctantly agreed to attend.

We went to the La Push beach. Isabelle was first out of my car as we pulled up. She was slightly troublesome for a ten-month-old infant. I laughed as she headed for the water. Jacob cringed, but I didn't; she was an excellent swimmer. I slowly climbed out of the car as Isabelle showed off to Jacob, splashing around and doing odd little tricks occasionally. I sat down on a picnic rug; Jacob sat next to me. I sighed, looking away from him and rolling my eyes curtly.

"You know, you can talk to me, Nessie," he said after a minute. "Izzie's even talking to me, you know."

I looked at him.

"You do know that in about two-and-a-half weeks, we'll be moving to Alaska, don't you?" I stated harshly. "Then, you won't see us for a bloody long time! What are you gonna do when we go?"

"Ness, I'm coming with you!" Jacob said excitedly. I frowned.

"What?! Why?" I spat.

Jacob looked confused.

"Umm... so I can see my daughter and wife, perhaps?" Jacob smiled, still confused.

"Ex-wife," I reminded him curtly.

"Not forever, I hope," he smiled seductively. I scoffed at him.

"In your dreams," I snarled. "I'll never be with you again."

"You're so like your mother," Jacob grinned. "Stubborn."

"You love her still, Jake," I said, frowning. "I know it. You can't go a conversation without mentioning her. You always compare me to her. That's why we broke up! Because you're weak, that's why. You couldn't mention your feelings for her until we had our daughter. Then, like a flash of lightening, you were gone!"

"I had to get my head together, Nessie," he frowned. "You know that."

"Then why did you divorce me, huh?" I snapped. "If you planned to come back to me? Why send divorce papers?"

"I met a girl," Jacob explained.

"Oh, really?" I said sarcastically. "Was she stupid?"

"Don't be like that, Renesmee!" he snapped. "Her name was Eliza. I had to divorce you to marry her. But... she was the rebound girl, you know. Just like you were when your mother-"

"I wouldn't continue that sentence if I were you," I warned him.

"Eliza was amazing," Jacob continued, taking my advice. "I loved her a lot. But we were only married for about a month. She freaked out over something, and we got divorced. She's twenty-two. She had a little boy, Anton. He was two. She was married too, so we connected."

"Ha!" I scoffed. "How long were you together for?"

"Three months," Jacob explained. "I wanted a baby, and she didn't."

"You have a baby," I snarled. "She's here, playing in the water. Why the hell would you want another one when you abandoned her? So you could repeat history?! You make me laugh, you know!" I laughed in hysterics.

"I wanted to make it right," he said, ignoring my laughs. "She was pregnant when I met her... she had an abortion because she had a one-night-stand. I helped her get through it, and we fell in love."

"You're only digging yourself into a deeper hole," I smiled, looking at him. He laughed.

"I know it was stupid, Ness," he agreed. "Not smart at all. Rach was pissed when she heard. Especially after she heard I left you. Bec was a little more understanding. I ended up in Hawaii for a bit. Rach was over there when I was."

"Yeah, I know she was there," I said simply.

"How?" Jacob asked. I grinned.

"She still came to see her niece, you know," I laughed. "Why wouldn't she?"

"Oh," he laughed. "I didn't know if she would."

I had forgotten how easy it could be, talking to Jacob. He could still make me smile, even after everything that had happened. I could feel myself getting closer to him, and I wasn't fighting it.

"Izzie's having fun, isn't she?" he said suddenly. I smiled.

"She loves the beach," I explained. "Cody and I came here with her a couple of times. She loved him, just like I did. It was a good thing for her, you know. I miss him." I couldn't deny that I loved him. Cody was amazing, and I missed him more every day. It would have been easier if I didn't fall in love with him... but I did.

"You don't have to talk about him if it hurts," Jacob said kindly. "I know what I did. I could tell by the way you looked at him the other day. You loved him. And I can't deny that, just like you can't."

"I wish he understood," I said glumly. Jacob wrapped his arm around me, kissing my cheek. I moved away.

"What?" he said, frowning.

"I'm not gonna move into a relationship with you, Jake," I said, standing up. "I don't love you anymore. You know that? I'm sorry, but I just can't. I love Cody, and it's gonna take me a long time to move on from him."

"I love you, Ness," Jacob said loudly. Isabelle walked from the water.

"I can't, okay?" I said, picking Isabelle up and moving to the car.

I wrapped a towel around her and put her into her baby seat. She strapped herself in, and I drove off as Jacob sat there on the picnic rug, looking confused. I don't know what made him think we were gonna just move back to how we were before. I drove straight home, not even thinking about turning around. Isabelle sat in the back, laughing a lot. I wasn't sure why, though.

Jacob would never be back in my life like he was. Unfortunately, I'd always be tied to him.

I sighed as I drove into the driveway, my pink Beetle flying around the bends as usual.