The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 53

I walked over to join Emily and Clare in the kitchen. I could hear Emily's kids playing in the background... I wondered oddly how you would break the news to a child that one of their parents had died... I couldn't bear it. Emily looked like she didn't know what to do now, or where to go. It was heartbreaking.

"So, Nessie," Clare said, bringing me out of yet another trance I had slipped into.

"Umm... yes?" I stuttered.

"How have you been? Heard Jacob showed his sorry face around yours this morning." Clare's statement was filled with bitter hate.

"Yeah, alright, I guess," I said, trying to be casual. It was hard. "Yeah, my father could have killed him... and that was just from his thoughts. I guess it's always gonna be this way, though..."

"Jacob's turned into someone I don't even recognise," Emily added harshly. "Sam did everything for him, and the first thing he did when Sam died was run off. To torture you and your family. I grew up with him... he's changed so much..."

"Mom said he used to do stupid things when he wanted to be with her," I said, rolling my eyes. What was I talking about? He still wanted her...

"Jacob could never accept that your mom was the vampire girl," Emily sighed. "We all tried to snap him out of it, but..."

"Jacob's a weasel," Clare scoffed. "Anyway, can't we talk about someone else? That guy pisses me off!"

"Or anything else," Emily said weakly.

"How are you doing, Em?" I asked suddenly. Clare looked at me shyly; I had the feeling she knew exactly what I was going to say.

"I'm... well, I'm not so good," Emily admitted. "I keep expecting Sam to walk through the door."

Fresh new tears welled in my eyes. I looked up to see Emily wiping away hers. I wrapped my arms around her.

"We were trying for a baby," Emily cried into my shoulder. "I wanted another little girl."

Clare wrapped her arms around the both of us, and we all cried together.

That was hard.

I was an emotional person, but it had to be extremely painful for Emily. She and Sam had been together for so long, it was odd to see her without him. I felt my stomach drop as I thought of losing either of my parents... my grandparents... my daughter. Anyone in my family, for that matter. My friends... Clare, who I had been best friends with for so many years now I had lost count. Then there were my new friends, Kate and Hallie. I missed them both greatly; it was only a few days now before I would see them.

I hated the fact that they would die... it made me sick to my stomach.

"What would you have named the baby you could have had?" Clare asked, looking interested.

"We both liked the name Chelsea for a girl," Emily smiled through her streams of tears. "I liked Hamish for a boy, but Sam liked Luka. We would have eventually came up with a name we both liked, but-"

"You never got the chance," I finished sadly. It made me wonder about Jacob and I... had we stayed together, how many children would we have had? And what names would we choose?

But he never liked Isabelle Renee... that should've been the first sign.

"Chelsea's a beautiful name," Clare smiled. "I like any names, really. As long as it's not Mira! I hate that name!"

Emily chuckled.

"You will always hate that girl, won't you?" she grinned. It was good to see her smile, even if only briefly. Her husband had died yesterday, after all.