The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 41

Chapter Thirty-Two... Clare's Still A Great Friend

I made it to Clare's in a heartbeat. Mom and dad still had Isabelle, and I decided to leave her there with them. They loved the extra time with her. After all, when we moved to Alaska, they would see her less. She would be spending the days with Esme that we were all at school, and she was excited about it. I smiled as her little face lit up over the thought.

I knocked on the door in a hurry, anxious to see how things stood between me and Clare. She answered it quickly, frowning a little.

"What's up, Bear?" I asked her, frowning back. She sighed.

"Thought you were Quil," she snarled, rolling her eyes. "Sorry, Ness. I wasn't expecting you to come over today. I'm waiting for that ass to come over here with Tyler."

"Oh," I sighed. "Er... how's Tyler going?"

"He's eighteen months old, if that's what you mean," she laughed. "No, I'm kidding. He's great. Living with me again. I haven't drank since... you know... I turned up at your parents' house pretty much plastered."

"That's good," I smiled. "On... both accounts."

"Thanks," she smiled half-heartedly.

"Is everything okay?" I asked her anxiously. She shook her head curtly.

"My baby's another boy," Clare sighed. "I wanted a girl... then I wouldn't have to give it away. I... I'm not sure I physically can!"

I frowned.

"You don't have to give it away, Clare," I said encouragingly. "It's your baby!"

"I promised," she said, tears welling in her eyes. "Do you remember when we sat in your car on your seventeenth birthday, and I told you I was pregnant with Tyler? Do you remember Quil standing a fair distance away from the car, just staring?"

"Yeah," I replied. "But what's that got to do with... giving away your new baby?"

I was so confused. Clare took a deep breath before replying.

"Well... Mira was there," she began. Behind your car. Only you didn't know her scent then. She was the one who told Quil about the baby... I always wondered how he found out, but I could tell by the look on his face he knew. That no-good-for-nothing little spy overheard our conversation! And they're using it against me! They can't have kids of their own, so they're using me as a human incubator... I don't want to give away my baby, Nessie!"

"They can't force you," I said, shocked that I had let my guard down long enough to realise that I'd met Mira before I had actually met her.

"I'm up against a werewolf, you know," Clare spat. "And that... homewrecker!"

"Screw her, Clare!" I said, enraged. "She ruined your life! And now she's using you so she can ruin it even more! I know that Quil got you pregnant again, Clare! I just don't know why you let him..."

"It was a one nighter," Clare sighed. Then she froze. "Wait... how did you know that?"

I tried to contain my shock.

"I only guessed... I wasn't sure it was true," I whispered.

"Well, it is," Clare replied, tears rolling down from her eyes. She tried wiping them away, but fresh ones followed.

"Oh, damn it!" she shouted. "I hate crying!"

I wrapped my arms tightly around Clare, and she followed suit. She sobbed into my shoulder for a good, long period of time. I managed to stand there, comforting her. She wasn't much of a crier; Quil really knew how to push her buttons and leave her an emotional wreck. The next time I crossed paths with him, he would be lucky to live long enough to apologise to my best friend.

"You're still a great friend, Bear," I smiled after a while. "Even after what's happened."

"Right back at you," Clare sniffled, laughing a little afterwards.

"He's gonna pay," I warned.

Clare snorted a laugh.

"Just make sure you get that bitch while you're going," she grinned. "Or I will."

"You're pregnant, you can't," I reminded her.

"Doesn't mean I won't try," she replied.

We sat for hours in the small living room of her mom's house. Quil didn't turn up the entire time I was there; he must've seen my car and avoided me. Smart move on his account. I could already imagine myself taking him out in one clean shot. It wouldn't be hard. Though I could imagine my parents' wouldn't let me...

I left things with Clare on a good note. I wasn't sure if I would ever see her again; she found it amusing that in ten years, she will have aged and i would still be the same. Sometimes I longed to be normal, just so I could have all the things in life that normal humans do. But for the most part, I couldn't imagine myself being anything different. I was rare; vampire hybrids were extremely rare, and I happened to belong to a coven with strong abilities. My mom had her shield; dad could read minds; Alice saw the future; Jasper had the ability to alter people's moods; and I could show people my thoughts and experiences with the touch of my hand.

And then there was Isabelle, who could both read minds AND see the future! She also learnt quickly, and was extremely advanced. I loved her so much, I couldn't imagine her being any different.

I couldn't want her to be any different.

I drove away from Clare's house, knowing that I had repaired one broken friendship. And that was a very human thing to do. I didn't want to lose her as a friend again, but I would lose contact with her for sure.

It was getting close to leaving day; I was becoming more anxious by the minute.

The future was becoming more clear.