The Life Of A Teenage Half-Vampire Part 27

Chapter Twenty-Two... New Relationship, New Friendships... New Future

Having my human friends over to my house turned out to be a complete success. My mom once again played the sister card, and she even cooked my newfound friends dinner. Isabelle was getting frustrated, not being able to show off her teeth; she liked dazzling unsuspecting people with her gorgeous smile. After Hallie and Kate left, mom and I put Isabelle to bed before engaging in a deep conversation about our futures.

"It's hard to believe that you'll be finishing high school soon, Ness," mom said as she took a seat in the living room. I sat opposite her.

"I know," I gasped. "I can't believe it either!"

"It seems like only yesterday you were born, let alone starting school!" mom stated. "You're getting older... it scares me, even though I know you're immortal. It's just... well, you'll always be my baby girl, no matter what."

I smiled.

"I wonder what's gonna happen next year," I said thoughtfully. "After school."

"Well, we're still moving to Alaska, if that's what you mean," mom replied instantly. "We need to. It will only be for a decade, and then we can return home." I was struggling with not having my perfect little cottage to live in anymore.

"I know that but... where will we live there?" I asked worriedly.

"We'll all live in a mansion that Carlisle owns in the north," mom explained. "We'll be hidden from sunlight."

"How long do we have left here, mom?" I asked curiously. Mom thought about it for a moment.

"Roughly nine months," she said quietly. "We'll have to be up there ready to start school at the end of the summer."

School, again. I sighed. Yuck.

"Right, school," I sighed. "I guess we'll all be going, won't we?"

"Your father and I are looking forward to it," mom smiled, then laughed. I assumed she was joking.

"I know that Grandpa Carlisle is looking forward to being able to work in a decent hospital again rather than that train wreck in Seattle," I blabbbered. "But can't we wait a year? I mean I'm just making some new friends at my new school, and losing contacts with my old ones, like Clare. I'm not sure if I'm ready to move away from here just yet. It seems... unreal."

"We were going to move to Alaska, or somewhere like that," mom began. "But then... you came along. You changed a lot of our plans, but we couldn't be more grateful for it. But Carlisle is supposed to have grey hair and wrinkly skin, and he doesn't look his age. He's had to stop working all together now... he hated the job in Seattle, it was too far from home. But in Alaska, he has more freedom. We all will, even you. You might even find a new relationship up there, you know."

I smiled weakly.

"Mom, what if I've already found a new relationship?" I asked, thinking about Cody. "I mean, if I have... I don't wanna leave someone who I like a lot, maybe even love."

"I didn't know you might have," mom stated. "I just thought... never mind."

I was confused now.

"Thought what, mom?" I asked curtly.

"Don't worry, Nessie," she insisted.

"Well I am!" I snapped.

"Renesmee, it's not important!" she snapped back.

"Just tell me, please, mom," I asked kindly. "Pretty please?" I put on a sad, pouty face. She laughed.

"Well... I just always thought... you would get... back with... Jacob." It took my mom that long to spit it out, it made me wonder if she wasn't still human. My face fell in shock, then turned to anger.