CHAPTER ELEVEN

[ 1

[ 1.8 | LUNATIC ]

     IF DAISY THOUGHT her mother was hovering after the incident at the rental store, she was sorely and completely mistaken about the woman's ability to watch over her every move.

     Lindsay Fulton had been in a frenzy when the sheriff personally called her during her late night shift. All that she knew was that there was an accident at the school, Daisy and her friends were trapped inside and that she needed to get there as soon as she possibly could. The registered nurse practically abandoned her post at emergency room and raced toward the campus.

     When she arrived, various police cruisers and ambulances were sat in the asphalt parking lot. Lindsay immediately sought out her daughter in the controlled chaos. A body had been wheeled out of the building secured in a black bag and laying on a stretcher. She ignored the sight for that moment, and proceeded to search for the young girl.

     Daisy was ushered into one of the many ambulances to make sure she had no significant injuries from her encounter with a "serial killer." Although she did not need the exam, she complied to appease not only her mother but the other deputies and paramedics involved as well. The least she could do was make the process of cleaning up their mess easier.

     School had been cancelled for two days after the incident. Contractors were hired to repair the damage from the Alpha's rampage during that time, while Daisy cleared her mind with the help of her mother and the lack of werewolf drama. Lindsay could not afford to take off work, but she made the most of their time together when she returned home. Daisy was thankful for that piece of normality in her life.

     The morning of her first day of school since the incident, Daisy woke to the dense aroma of friend bacon and melted cheese. As much as she wanted to stay cocooned in her bed, the spasms rolling through her stomach forced her from the warm cotton sheets. Her hair was still slightly damp from her nightly shower, but she did not care in that moment. She threw the duvet from her body and stood from the mattress. Daisy made her way from her bedroom and traveled down the short hallway to emerge into the living room. The sweet aroma of food evaded her every waking thought, as she continued toward the connected kitchen.

     Her mother stood at the stove flipping what appeared to be strips of fatty bacon in a sea of popping grease. She looked up from her cooking to see her daughter drowsily plopping down into a chair positioned around the circular dining room table. "Good, you're up. Makes my morning easier." She teased with a smile.

     Daisy playfully rolled her eyes, albeit still annoyed about being up early. "What are you talking about? I'm a delight to be around." She voiced in a dull tone, resting her chin atop her open palm.