Chapter 24

Song List:

Eye of the Needle - Sia

Red Lighter - Somo

Connor's POV

Autumn hasn't been the same since we went out with Emmi and Ricky. She was quiet, distant, kind of how she was when I first met her. She would still smile now and then, but it wouldn't reach her eyes. I've been worried, but I didn't want to bug her about it.

We had just gotten back from one of our dates. I took her out to dinner and she was still quiet. It was really awkward, and I didn't know what to say. I tried to make her laugh now and then, which kind of worked but she wouldn't do her usual laugh and snort. We walked back to her apartment hand in hand, but she would look down on the sidewalk and not speak at all.

We were almost to the apartment so I decided to finally speak up because I hated seeing her this way. I stopped walking, she looked at me questioningly. "Babe", I began, squeezing her hand. "Yes?" she responded. Her voice was small, almost like she was scared to speak out to the world.

I stared at her, drinking in each feature on her face. "Baby are you okay? You've been a bit...off...for a while." She bit her lower lip and sighed, looking down. I immediately lifted her chin with my finger. "You haven't been yourself, and it's worrying me. Tell me what's been bothering you...I feel like I'm not being a good boyfriend if I don't know what's going on in that wonderful mind of yours", I said, placing my forehead against hers.

She frowned. She mumbled something quiet under her breath. I scrunched my eyebrows, straining to hear her. "What?" I asked. Autumn looked at me, her eyes looking sad. She finally spoke up. "Did you know that Sam loved me?" she asked flatly.

Anger hit me like a boomerang. What?

"Sam...told you...what?" I choked out. Sam told her he loved her?

"When we were talking outside...he told me that he loved me....and I didn't answer him because he knew that I didn't feel the same way. He kept telling me that he can admit his feelings to me unlike you..", she said quietly.

I warned her. I warned her the second before she left to go outside with Sam to not talk to him. I know I sounded possessive and commanding, but knowing Sam's strong feelings for her I wanted her to be away from him as possible. I didn't want her to start growing attached to him. I shouldn't be saying this because I sound like a complete douche, but it's my jealousy speaking. I didn't want to lose Autumn, not so soon. He has a good way of sweeping off her feet and carrying her off, so far away that Autumn would no longer see me in her view.

The part that really bugs me is that he told her that he loved her before I did.

I'm not saying that I'm not telling her that I love her because I don't feel that way. I do feel that I have those strong of feelings for her, but I didn't want to say it yet unless I know that I'm sure. I'm also not saying that I'm second-guessing my feelings for her, but I don't want to say something so strong so early in a relationship.

Okay who am I kidding, I think I really am falling in love with her.

I hated how Sam told her before me. I wanted to be the first one to tell her that I loved her. But me being stupid and not knowing how to time the perfect moment delays my time. Because of my stupidity and delays, Sam got to her first. Now she's waiting for me to speak up.

My anger bubbled up even more at the fact that Sam didn't respect our boundaries. He knows that Autumn is mine, and I am hers.

Autumn was staring at me now. Her eyes shining, I don't know what to say.