Seven

Lena, dressed in a tight fitted black dress and covered in pumps of the same color, stood before her bathroom's mirror, painting her lips a red pigment. Her hair had been positioned upward all while strands of bangs resided on each side of her face.

A knocking formed at the bathroom's door, then Stef entered. She was dressed in casual attire while a bothered expression rode the crease of her nose. She eyed her mentor from head to toe, noticing how appealing she had looked. Though Stef felt the woman appeared to be dressed stunningly, she couldn't help but to feel annoyed. "So...you're really going on this date, huh?"

Lena breathed heavily. She knew that she and Candace didn't leave off on the right foot. But once she had received that package—that included objects of a sincere apology and an invitation for dinner—she knew that the least she could do was agree to it with hopes of maybe she and Candace coming to a resolution.
"I am, actually." The mentor's face held a modest smile. "I think that if Candace and I both talk, we can gain some type of clarity of what's been going on."

"Really?" Stef's eyes widened, watching the woman apply a black colored liner to her eyes. "You think you should be talking to her after the way she talked to you...when she was here?"

The mentor sighed. In all honesty, she didn't want to attend the date. But, if it meant that even a bit of closure would come out of it, she had no problem with going and didn't see why Stef was so opposed. "Listen—I'll have you know—before this crazy phase with Candace, she was a real sweetheart. One of the reasons I fell in love with her, y'know?"

"Yeah...well who's to say this 'crazy phase' won't show during your...date?" Stef replied, her eyes rolled. Her concerned stemmed from a place of safety for Lena, at least that was what she tried to portray. Truthfully, Stef didn't feel comfortable with knowing Lena were to attend the date with Candace. This was because she knew she couldn't be there to watch their interaction. Would Candace touch her? What if they were to make up and then Candace were to kiss her? Those scenarios just didn't sit right in the woman's head.

Once the mentor had been done with the eye lining, she began placing diamond studded earrings in each of her ears. "Okay, and I can defend myself. Stef, I'm not understanding where you're getting at with this..." she then placed a silver necklace around her neck.

Stef, still standing before the bathroom's door, watched the woman check to make sure all of her appliances were secure. "I'm just–I just don't think you going out with her, as of right now, is a good idea. She's not—"

"Well I don't think it has anything to do with you," Lena replied, impeding the woman's words. "And, I don't think this is any of your business, if you must know!" She could feel her heart racing rapidly within her chest. She didn't mean to blow up on Stef, but clearly there had been some sort of feelings hiding out that they had yet to discuss.

Stef's eyes enlarged all while her body released expressions of disbelief. She hadn't expected Lena to mouth such words, considering her recent act of defense for the woman. She didn't mean any harm by being concerned, she just didn't like the idea of the date. "Wow. None of my business? Okay well when she starts acting crazy again—and I'm around—I'll stay out of it because it's none of my business, right?!" Stef gathered her presence and was just seconds away from exiting the bathroom until she was stopped.

"Oh, Stef," Lena began, turning from the mirror and facing the woman. Her voice reeked firmly. "You know I don't mean it like that! I just don't understand why you are so obsessed with my situation with Candace!" Stepping closer to the woman, she breathed deeply. "You are more concerned about me going on this date than I am!"

Heavy breaths left Stef's body as she listened to her mentor's words. She had no idea that the woman would act that way in regards to showing concern. "Lena, just the other day in your kitchen you agreed with me when I said you deserved better! And you even said it yourself that you didn't know why you opened the door for her!" She threw her hands into the air, fed up at the tension that was occurring between the two. "I just think that going on this date is too soon and...and very far from being acceptable!"