Twenty Nine

Just about a week had surfaced since the very random bombardment of Candace outside of Lena's home, and the mentor had been back at work in her office everyday since then. She carefully and thoroughly considered Stef's idea to take time away from work to regain at least some peace, but the woman could not see past everyone at work who she knew would need her.

Seated at her desk, Lena had been occupied with a pile a of paperwork and list of assignments that needed completing. She sighed, remembering how swiftly these particular things would be done when Carrie was apart of her staff. It wasn't that the mentor couldn't get them done, but rather the fact that being the head of building already came with a lot.

"Knock, knock," a known voice greeted, standing before the woman's doorway. It was Stef, who wore an enlarged smile upon her face and eyes that glistened. She and Lena were in a great place, and it felt good.

The mentor rose her eyes from the stress that laid before her, placing them onto her lover. She also smiled, relieved to have seen something worth smiling about. "Hey, there." She then motioned for the other woman to walk near her. "Gosh, you don't know just how happy I am to see you."

Awarding her woman with a quick hug and kiss, Stef began to grow a bit concerned. "Why, everything okay?" She crossed her arms above her chest, watching Lena closely.

"No, I'm fine," Lena said back, before pointing toward the pile of work upon her desk. "There's a lot that needs to be done, as always." She then sighed, just like before. "Only thing is this is everything Carrie used to do. Now, I have to do it."

"Anything I can help with, love?" Stef offered, resting her left hand upon the mentor's right shoulder. "I am more than happy—"

But, before she could complete her sentence, the other woman had said, "It's okay, really. Maybe it's time to hire someone else, y'know? Like...like an assistant."

The blonde-haired woman placed her rear end upon the edge of Lena's desk, her index finger touching her own chin. "You uh...you sure you're ready for that? You did just go through a lot dealing with Carrie and all that she orchestrated."

"I think I am," Lena's shoulders moved in an up and down fashion as she pointed at the undone work before her. "Don't really think I have a choice, y'know? There's work that needs to be done, babe."

"Well, I know that." Stef rose from the corner of the desk and sat within one of the chairs that were stationed just across from her lover. "I just don't want you to bring in someone else and things get crazy again." She then reached for the mentor's nearest hand, holding it with complete comfort. "I saw how stressed you got, and I didn't like it one bit, okay?"

 "I saw how stressed you got, and I didn't like it one bit, okay?"

"I know, I know," the other woman replied, smiling. She admired just how concerned Stef had been for her. "Don't worry, I will be okay." Her eyes traveled to the work upon her desk. "Or at least I will be once I finish all of this paperwork. I've gotta send out a bunch of emails as well; one of which will go to Mrs. Taylor about your resignation."