Forty Eight

"Love is tricky," those words settled within Stef's and Lena's ears, as they were released from officiant Glen Massey. He dressed in a black pigmented suit, carrying an instructional book of the same color.

Both women stood just across from one another, holding onto each other's hands. Lena's body was covered in a stunning champagne painted, laced designed gown, as Stef stood proud in her ivory, silk pants suit. Upon their faces, smiles rested—happy to have finally reached this moment.

The area of the beach of which they reserved was enhanced with very natural decor, almost impossible to tell that this was a last minute arrangement

The area of the beach of which they reserved was enhanced with very natural decor, almost impossible to tell that this was a last minute arrangement. Behind them was a wooden stand lined in beige curtains, cream roses, and gold letters which spelled 'Mrs. & Mrs'. The sand was perfectly structured into a fine walkway, as lit candles aligned divinely.

"Love is rough, and then gentle." The officiant went on, reading a quote from the book he held. "It is beautiful and ugly, everything and nothing. But most of all, love is love. It is the reason you two stand before me, promising a lifetime together." Glen's eyes traveled from both women. "Now is the time to protest your vows."

Stef smiled immensely, holding onto Lena's hands a bit tighter. "I uh...I'll go first." She eyed her woman closely, breathing incredibly deeply. "Lena, my love, as horrible as it sounds, I always assumed I knew you even when I didn't know you at all. But, it doesn't matter what I thought of you because over and over, everyday, you show me just whom you are." She paused, allowing tears to form within her eyes. "You are someone that loves wholly and unconditionally. You love me on my good days and especially my bad days. You are always patient with me, and we both know I have had my fair share of stubbornness that only patience could get through to." Stef chuckled a bit, causing the other woman to do the same. "Most importantly, you've helped me heal when I didn't think it was possible. You accepted my brokenness as though it was your own, and you guided me through it. Even though sometimes you forget to pick up my guacamole from that place I love, no one has ever made me feel more worthy, more special. I am so grateful to stand here today, vowing to be your wife. Forever is a long time, and that's just how long I promise to love you."

With tears of joy streaming down both sides of her face, Lena smiled widely. Her heart raced within her chest, as she couldn't contain her excitement. This was the first time she'd be marrying a woman whom she loved and one that truly loved her.
"Stefanie Marie Foster, you are the person I've waited for, hoped for, and cried many nights for."