Twenty Five

Stef exited Lena's office, allowing a woman by the name of Giselle—one of Lena's secretaries—to enter.
Breathing profoundly, Stef tried to hold onto as much patience as she possibly could. She didn't want to think Lena had felt anything for Carrie, but Lena's hesitation to answer her question sure made her feel otherwise.
Needing to clear her mind, Stef figured she'd go brood in one of the private areas of the building. It was clear that she had a lot to think about.

So, she walked through the hallway that led to the front of the building, passing up Women's Inc Cafe. Searching around for the private areas, she realized all were filled. They either consisted of members and their families, or a member who simply needed alone time just as she had.

Trying to think of another location, the woman walked back into the direction of which the cafe was stationed. There, she spotted Shelby seated at a table alone, consuming a mug of hazelnut flavored coffee.

"Shelby?" Stef called out, growing closer to her dear friend. She waved while smiling a bit, then pulled at one of the chairs of the table. "Mind if I sit here?"

Shelby slightly smiled, moving her head in an up and down fashion. "Go ahead." She then took a sip of her heated beverage. "Looks like you were going to sit there anyways."

The blonde haired woman released rather deep breaths. It had been quite some time since the last she and the woman had spoken to one another. In her mind, she felt that Shelby had grown insanely distant for some reason she had no knowledge of. "So, how have you been? Feels like I uh...like I haven't talked to you in forever."

"That's because you haven't," Shelby replied, her words held tension within them. It was clear that their lack of communication bothered her. "You don't talk to me anymore."

"What?" Stef's eyes widened. She hadn't expected for the cause of their distance to be her fault. "Shelby, we may not talk like we used to but it is not because of me only. Why-why don't you talk to me?"

"Because ever since you've been seeing Lena—" The other woman began to respond back, but realized she had been speaking a bit too loud. She adjusted her voice, rearranging it to a whisper. "Ever since you and Lena have had y'all's thing, you hardly even look my way! It's like you just cut me loose or something!"

The blonde haired woman gasped, holding onto her chest. She could admit that things had definitely changed since being with the mentor, but still didn't feel that she and Shelby not speaking as much anymore was her doing.
"I did not cut you loose, Shel. I simply—"

But, before she continued on, Shelby impeded her words with, "You left me hanging, Stef!" The woman rose from her seat, raising her voice a bit but not too much to bring about attention. "You really left me, and I really wish that you hadn't."

"I am sorry, okay?" Stef apologized, shrugging her shoulders

"I am sorry, okay?" Stef apologized, shrugging her shoulders. "It's just that there were all of those rumors going around about Lena and me. And, if I'm being honest—Shelby—you were the only person I spoke to about my feelings for her." She then rose from her seat as well, placing her hands onto the table. "I needed a moment...I guess."