Fifty One

Two days had passed and Lena was finally returning back to work. Though, she wasn't exactly looking forward to it because she dreaded the conversation she knew she needed to have with Connor. Finding out he was related to Carrie had definitely put things at odds.

"So, are you going to fire him?" Stef asked her wife, while the two of them were downstairs seated in their kitchen, having some coffee.

Lena shrugged her shoulders, responding with, "Honestly, I have no idea. Connor's just—he seems so passionate about the job. I would hate to see him go but if it does come to that," she sighed, "then that'll just be what it is, y'know?"

"I understand, my love." The blonde moved her head up and down, just before taking a sip of her heated beverage. "I just hope he has nothing to do with Carrie's foolishness. He seems like a good kid."

"Yeah he does," The mentor drank a bit of her own coffee, thinking about having to make such decision. She was truly torn. She didn't want to keep around any bad energy nor possible threats, but she also didn't want to lose a hardworking, passionate employee.
Looking over at her wife, she asked her, "But what about you? You ready for the talk you're having with your mom today?"

Stef looked at her, then shifted her eyes to the floor below. Her mind ran inevitably as she tried to prepare for the conversation she and Natalie were to have. After Natalie stormed off the other day, she hadn't spoke to her about it. She wanted to understand why the woman did that.

"I am ready, I am," she finally said back, answering Lena. "I can't stop thinking about what Aunt Jodie said to her. It must've truly hurt her, y'know?"

The other woman moved her head up and down, agreeing with her wife's words. "It's a shame she had to hear it that way." She then rose from where she was seated and grew closer to Stef. "Well, I have to go on to work now, but I wish you all the luck on the conversation."

"Thanks, babe," Stef showed her appreciation. She then leaned into Lena, giving her a kiss goodbye.

 She then leaned into Lena, giving her a kiss goodbye

It hadn't taken Lena long at all to drive to work. When she got there, she put in an immediate request that as soon as Connor got to work, he'd be notified to come see her.

But before he got there, the mentor received a prior—and unexpected—visit from someone else. From Shelby.

"Hey, Shelbs," Lena greeted her, rising from her desk after starting on some paperwork. "Everything okay?"

Shelby had been dressed in grey sweat pants and a sizable sweatshirt of the same color. She wore oversized clothing just until her pregnancy was to truly begin to show.
She smiled at her dear sister, then sat in one of the chairs before her desk. "Hey. Yeah, everything's okay...everything's fine."

The mentor gave her curious eyes, feeling that Shelby didn't seem too certain of her response. "Are you sure? You don't sound very convincing..."

"Well...I just..." The other woman said back, allowing her eyes to roam randomly as she fiddled with her fingers. "I've been doing some thinking." She then lifted her shirt and showed her growing belly. "I don't think I'm ready for this, Lena."