Forty Four

"What the hell is this place?" Stef asked Lena, as they walked side by side, entering The Lillian. She spoke a bit loud, trying to speak over the thunderous music.

The facility's interior consisted of bronze colored walls, golden decor, and fancy seating areas. It was surely a place too divine for the women.

"It's a gay bar, honey," the other woman replied, holding onto her lover's nearest arm. She smiled nervously, hopeful that they'd have a good night.

Allowing her eyes to roam the building, the blonde replied with, "Well, I can see that." She saw women and men of all ages and ethnicities sharing their presences, dressed in rather elegant attire. "Are we sure this is the right place for us though?"

Lena had prepared her mouth to respond, but before she could, a familiar presence had approached, greeting her.

It was Connor, who carried an enlarged smile and surprised eyes. "Oh my gosh!" He exclaimed, hugging his boss. "You showed up! I thought you had declined my invite!"

Stef examined the young man from head to toe, figuring he was the new assistant. She had remembered him knocking at Lena's office door earlier that day.

"Yeah, I did," Lena said back to him, moving her head up and down, smiling. "If I'm being honest, it caught me off guard when you invited me out tonight. It's just that I'm your boss and you're my newest employee, y'know?"

Connor seemed to have completely understood where the woman was coming from, and even apologized if he had made her feel a bit uncomfortable. Shortly after, he led Lena and Stef to his spot in the lounge, wanting to introduce his boss to his friends.

He did so, naming four people that sat in a circular fashion. "Actually, there's one more who hasn't made it yet. That's how I saw you two come in, waiting on them to get here!" Growing curious, Connor then allowed his eyes to travel from Stef to Lena. "Wait, Boss, you haven't introduced me to your friend. Who's this?"

"I'm Stef," Stef said to the young man, shaking his hand. She chuckled a bit, finding humor in the fact that he hadn't known they were definitely more than just friends.

"My domestic partner," Lena added, smiling wide. The love she had for her woman was quite radiant, shining crystal clear. "Sorry for not introducing sooner. It is a pleasure meeting your friends, though."

"Oh no, that's okay!" Connor replied, waving the mentor's apology off

"Oh no, that's okay!" Connor replied, waving the mentor's apology off. He then motioned for both she and Stef to take a seat, wanting them to feel comfortable. "You guys don't have to stand around, y'know."

"Actually," But Lena continued to stand, searching through the lounge with her eyes. "I think I'll head over to the bar and grab us some drinks." She looked at Stef, who had chosen to sit. "I'll get you a martini, honey."

After making her way over to bar, the mentor saw the bartender facing the opposite direction as her. It was a woman on bit of the shorter side, with flowing brunette hair. Instantly, Lena's heart dropped as she knew just whom this woman was. It was Carrie, the friend that was no longer a friend.