Chapter 16: Torn

~Louis POV~

I bit my lip so hard it hurt. The metallic taste of blood spilt over into my mouth, making me wince. Nervously, I ran my hand through my already tangled hair. It was a habit I picked up from Harry a while back. I let my eyes glance over the rest of the boys. We were all over the place. Liam was over by the nurse’s desk asking about Caden. Niall was eating his worry worth in potato chips. Zayn was talking to Perrie over the phone in a hushed voice.

But out of all of us, harry was the worst. He constantly paced the length of the waiting room, his restless, bloodshot eyes continuously glancing toward the hallway that Caden had been wheeled down an hour before. His bottom lip was swollen and puffy from him chewing it so much. His hair was ruffled up from his fingers combing through it. He was an overall mess.

“Why isn’t she out yet?” Harry mumbled, once again running his hand through his curls. I wanted to answer him but I didn’t know why myself.

“She’ll be okay. Don’t worry Haz she’ll be fine.” I replied after coming up with a decent answer.

“How can you be so sure?” he whimpered sitting down beside me. I gave him a sad smile.

“I’m not.”

Zayn glanced over at us, seeing Harry on the verge of another crying fit. He quickly said goodbye to Perrie before taking the seat next to Harry. Niall was the next one to notice the three of us. He quickly downed the rest of his chips then took the seat to my left. Liam, the only one who hadn’t joined us, continued to talk with one of the nurses. That was until Niall coughed loudly enough to make his head turn. He looked us over a few times before realizing what was going on. He excused himself from the nurse and took the seat next to Zayn, leaving Harry in the middle of us.

I glanced at the rest of the boys and came to a silent agreement. Liam opened his mouth and softly began to sing. Harry leaned his head on my shoulder and let out a sniffle. 

I thought I saw a girl brought to life

She was warm she came around

She was dignified

She showed me what it was to cry

You couldn't be that girl I adored

You don't seem to know or seem to care

What your heart is for

But I don't know her anymore

Instead of Harry taking the next verse, Niall picked it up automatically. Every time Harry was sick, or was unable to sing, Niall and I split up his parts.

There's nothing left, I used to cry

my conversation has run dry

that’s what's going on

Nothing's fine

I joined Niall for the chorus with Zayn adding his harmonies every once and a while. We sounded amazing as usual, but not quite right without our fifth member.   

I'm torn

I'm all out of faith

This is how I feel

I'm cold and I am shamed

Lying naked on the floor

Illusion never changed

Into something real

I'm wide awake and I can see

The perfect sky is torn