Chapter Fifteen: Spain vs. Switzerland

Alyssa sighed as she watched the boys prepare for their match against Switzerland; she could see the tension that filled the air as Vicente gave them a last minute pep talk before the match.

Crossing her arms, the brunette smiled at Sergio who was stood close to her; she seemed to spend a lot of time with him and Fernando as of late, while Iker was doing interviews about the coming matches.

"You okay?" Alyssa asked, making Sergio smile at her and nod; she could see he wasn't calm but he was doing the best he could, to keep it together.

"Just nervous," Sergio said making her nod, he moved close to her as she stepped out of the locker room; he followed her out, Alyssa looked at him oddly as they stood in the deserted corridor.

Alyssa bite her lip before she quickly pressed a kiss to Sergio's lips, this was the first time she had been alone today with any of her boys and she felt the need to do something.

Sergio wrapped his arms around her waist and held her close as they kissed; her hands wrapping around his neck and holding onto his red jersey top.

Pulling away softly from him, Alyssa smiled up at him knowing that it wasn't much but it was all that she could do right now.

"For good luck," Alyssa said making him smile before he kissed her again; this time his hands moved to cup her face knowing that he would do anything for her.

"Gracias nena," Sergio said as they separated, however they quickly pulled apart when the locker room as Vicente stepped out of the locker room with the rest of the team.

Alyssa smiled at him before turning on her heel and walking away so she could find her seat; Sergio sighed and looked at Fernando who forced a nervous smile at him.

***

Spain had almost total control of the match in the first half of the match, but couldn't seem to find the back of the net.

The first team that had been selected by Vicente for this match was Iker, Gerard Pique, Carles Puyol, Joan Capdevila, Sergio, Andres Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets, David Silva and David Villa.

Alyssa knew it bothered Fernando that he had been left out of the starting team, and that it was because he had recently had surgery on his knee.

Alyssa smiled at him as he sat next to her; most of the team were friendly with her now and didn't mind talking to her, which seemed to help the boys spend time with her.

The team on the pitch had quickly settled into a rhythmic short passing game and Switzerland struggled to get the ball out of their own half of the pitch.

Alyssa couldn't help but think that the match reminded her of the training sessions that she had witnessed in the last few days.

Everyone on the bench looked at Sergio, who received the ball in space on the right of the goal before dragging his shot wastefully wide of the goal, much to the anger of his better-placed team-mates Xavi and David Villa.

However moments later, Iniesta slipped a pass through to Gerard Piqué, who cut inside his man before firing straight at goalkeeper Diego Benaglio.

The next attack saw David Silva chip a delightful ball over the Switzerland defence for Iniesta, who was brought down on the edge of the area as he tried to get his shot away.

Villa fired the resultant free-kick straight at the wall.

The Swiss were forced into a change midway through the half when former Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos limped off with a foot injury and was replaced by Steve Von Bergen.

Lone striker Villa looked skilful and lively, but when he finally found space in the box, he opted to pass, and chipped tamely across the face of goal.

Alyssa sighed as the first half came to the end, she knew the team were disappointed but at least the score was 0:0.

Fernando walked by her side, and offered a weak smile at Sergio and Iker who nodded at him as they passed; Alyssa sighed and watched them enter the locker room.

The brunette knew they were disappointed that things had started out like this; they had won all of their qualifying games and had thought this would be a walk through.

***

The second half began in a similar vein until the Swiss took the lead with the first real attack of the game.

Things were going well until a long goal-kick was flicked through to Eren Derdiyok, who bundled it past goalkeeper Iker Casillas and the falling Pique to leave former Manchester City midfielder Fernandes with a simple finish.

Leaving Spain 1:0 down in the game; Vicente then sent on Fernando and Jesus Navas just after the hour mark.

Andres and Fernando both curled shots wide before midfielder Xabi almost broke the crossbar with a stunning strike from just outside the area.

Spain started committing more men forward, and the game became stretched and Switzerland came within a whisker of taking a 2-0 lead.

Derdiyok cut inside Pique and Carles Puyol before flicking a shot which had Iker beaten but bounced back off the post.

The last 10 minutes were a predictable Spanish sleight but, with Fernando looking rusty on his return from knee surgery; Spain seemed to run out of ideas as their efforts became increasingly desperate.

Alyssa sighed as the game to an end, she knew that they were disappointed about their loss; she stood and brushed off her dress knowing that they would be better in the next match.

As Alyssa stood, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched; looking behind her carefully before her eyes met with a deep set of dark ones that made her shiver.

Alyssa swallowed as she looked away, she had no interest in Joan and she felt slightly sick as he watched her like that; she jumped when she felt someone wrap an arm around her shoulder.

Gerard chuckled as he looked down at her, she rolled her eyes at him as they walked towards the locker room; he had formed an odd friendship with the brunette and they were slowly becoming good friends.

"Are you okay?" Gerard asked sensing something was bothering her as he wondered what had made her so jumpy, he knew that there had to be something bothering her if she was acting like that.

Alyssa nodded offering a glance back at Joan, who was now talking to Javi; Gerard followed her gaze and frowned, he knew something was bothering the younger woman.

"You sure?" Gerard asked making Alyssa nod and look at him, she could tell that her boys had picked up on their conversation.

The last thing that the brunette wanted right now as to cause any trouble especially after the team had lost against Switzerland.

"Never better," Alyssa replied offering him a forced smile, Gerard nodded and looked over at Joan before bidding farewell to Alyssa who seemed a little distracted.

Iker crossed his arms as he watched his girlfriend for a moment before he looked at Joan who seemed to be paying her a little too much attention.

"We'll deal with him later," Iker remarked making Fernando nod as they moved into the locker room followed by Sergio; the three didn't like his strange fascination with Alyssa and it needed to stop.