Chapter 2

In the morning, I woke up in the same place I had fallen asleep. It would appear my parents didn't even bother to move me. I grunted as I pushed myself up to get ready for school. On my way past the kitchen, I saw Mom sipping a mug of coffee at the table.

“Morning sweetheart,” she sang out.

Trying to hide my bitterness, I mumbled a “Hey.”

Not seeming to notice, she continued, “Once you go get dressed, come back down to eat. I have a few things to discuss.”

I ran up the stairs to my closet, throwing out a pair of plum coloured leggings and a white, off-shoulder sweater. I ran a comb through my hair, surprised that the curls looked half decent, leaving me only to deal with brushing on some foundation and applying eyeliner and mascara. In no time, I ran back down the stairs to eat breakfast.

“I only have to work half a day today,” Mom started. “But tonight your father and I have a party to attend, starting at 6.”

I poured milk into my cereal, and raised my eyebrows. “So you won't be home tonight, I take it?”

Mom nodded. “I'm afraid so. I was thinking you could ask Kami over to spend the evening with.”

“Sure,” I mumbled, “I don't see why not.” We sat at the table in silence, mostly because she going back and forth from flipping through a beauty magazine and texting who knows who. She was that type of younger mother who was absorbed with technology, probably because she was so popular in the adult world. After eating, I went to brush my teeth and grab my bag and phone from my room. At the door, I put my black coat on, doing up the buttons, and slipped on a pair of black boots. There wasn't any snow on the ground yet, but it was only a matter of days. “See ya, Mom. I'm off to school now.” I waited for a couple seconds until she answered.

“Oh! Okay, well have a good day and enjoy your evening. See you tonight, if you happen to be up still.” I rolled my eyes before slamming the door.

At lunch, Kami came and sat in the seat beside me. “Long time, no talk,” she said, with a mouthful of noodles.

I shrugged. “We'll have to catch up.”

Immediately her eyes sparkled. “Oh I have so much to tell you! Last night was a dream!”

I couldn't help but snort, a small smirk forming on my face. “I'm sure ya do.” I winked. Kami stuck her tongue out at me, and continued to cram noodles into her mouth.

“You wanna come over tonight? We can hang out and you can spill all the news? My parents are gone to some stupid party.” I saw a slight frown flash onto her face, but it disappeared fast.

“Sure, sounds good! I'll catch a ride home with you.”

Surprisingly, my afternoon classes went by fast and before I knew it, the shrill bell sounded throughout the halls. Without waiting, like I usually do, I crammed my papers into my books and into my bag. I met up with Kami in the hallway, and she linked arms with me on the way to my car.

“Is something wrong, Alicia?” Kami asked as we buckled our seat belts. There was hardly anything I kept from my best friend, but I wasn't sure if I felt like pouring out all my woes to her.

“I'm just tired,” I answered finally. She narrowed her eyes at me.

“Don't lie to me. I really hate it,” she huffed.

“Can we at least wait until we get home? I begged.

Kami sighed but nodded in agreement. When we got to the house, Kami ran immediately for the kitchen, finding the cupboard Mom always kept the cookies in. She is such a junk food addict. I waited on the couch, chewing my nails, when she emerged again.

“Quit stuffing your face,” I teased. “And you have crumbs all over your chest.” That made her eat even more monster-like before she came barrelling over the back of the couch and landed beside me.

“So, tell me what's going on?” she asked again. I should have known she wouldn't drop the conversation. I fiddled with my fingers.

“It's just Mom and Dad. It gets old so fast sitting at home all the time, doing everything by yourself. They don't even do anything with me anymore. I feel lost, Kami. Everyday I see those photos hanging on my walls, and a whole flood of memories come back. I just want it all to be the same.” I am surprised I wasn't crying, even though I felt terrible inside. Kami looked sympathetic as she reached over and grabbed my hand. She squeezed it tightly.

“I'm so sorry, Alicia. I've noticed things weren't right for quite some time, but I thought that maybe I was just seeing things.” I picked at the leather on the couch. “I think you need to try talking to them. Tonight. I know you hate doing that sort of thing, but it's necessary if you ever want things to go back to normal. And I'll always be here to offer support.” Usually I would be putting up a fight. My nature was controversial and very strong-headed, but today I was far too down to care. And besides, somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew Kami was right, and I was going to give it a chance.