Chapter 14

Alicia's POV

The dinner party had gone on for hours now. It was a hardship in the first place, now it was even more so. Landon had put up a healthy argument against going, but Mrs. Ingram wouldn't buy any of it. I pulled the deep purple-fitted dress down my thighs more and ran a hand through my messy curls.

“Oh come on, how big is this house?” I muttered and took another sip from my glass of punch.

I was trying to find Landon, heaven knows why, but I was bored. And if he was having more fun than me somewhere else in this house, I wasn't going to miss it. I kicked a heavy door open, revealing a large dark room. I couldn't make anything out except a window that took up the whole outer wall and a figure sitting on the ledge.

“What are you doing here?” he nearly snapped.

“Looking for the runaway,” I answered, my heels clicking across the floor.

“Well, ya found him, so go.”

I snorted and set my cup down on the ledge. “Not a chance. I don't want to sit down there.”

In the dark, I saw an eerie smirk playing on his lips. “So you'd rather be up here with me then?”

I tensed at his words. “N-no,” I stuttered.

He tore his gaze from the window, his eyes dark. “You stuttered, which either means you're nervous or you're unsure.”

I hated his guts for knowing me so well. He doesn't even pay attention to me, and we're lucky if 5 words are passed between us during the day, so how does he know these things?

“Which one will it be, love?” I choked on my drink at the use of the name his mom had used only hours before, but remained silent.

“Are you not going to answer me?” he purred and he shifted down the ledge a little closer to me. This guy seriously gave me the goosebumps. His fingers grazed under my chin, turning my face towards his.

“Hmm?” I swallowed, uncertain of what he was going to do.

“You know, you're so quiet, Ali. How am I ever to know what you think?”

By now, the back of his hand was tracing patterns on my cheek.

“I speak words,” I whispered, “You just never hear them.”

I'm surprised my voice is actually working because the longer I sit here, the worse I feel about coming up here.

“What words?” came his answer, and I could feel his breath on my face.

“Words from the heart most times speak louder then any other kind.,” I replied truthfully.

I felt his lips on my cheek and I stiffened. “You're right, but I don't like what those ones are telling me,” his voice was so very low, before he kissed my cheek again and pulled away. In the moonlight, I could see his eyes were even darker. He stood and unlatched the window.

“What are you doing?” I panicked slightly.

He smiled at my innocence. “Leaving. I have some other fun planned tonight.”

I jumped up. “But wait, that would be rude just to leave! What will the hosts think? And your mother?”

He rolled his eyes. “You think I care? Have I ever? You go entertain them, love.”

I frowned, frustrated as he slipped down the vines on the wall expertly. He lifted his head up once more.

“Goodnight.”