Chapter 5

Alicia's POV

My last day in Portland I spent driving around and seeing the sights one last time. Sure, I might return here one day, but I had no idea when. The city held shattered fragments of memories for me that I was scared to cut myself on, and yet, as it is with something dark, it still continues to pull you in. Kami was tagging along with me. This was the last time I could spend the day with my best friend for who knows how long. It almost put me in tears knowing it could be years until I would see her again. I think she was feeling the same thing, even though she had a smile plastered on her face. But when I looked into her big, amber eyes, there was no sparkle. My nose-stuffing, burping friend from a few days back was gone, and I knew situations had made it so I couldn't get her back. Kami was determinedto buy me a few trinkets to remember my home city by, much to my disagreement, but what could I do? This is Kami we're talking about. She doesn't listen. On our way down the city street, she suddenly pulled me into a dress store.

“What now, Kami?” I asked, a little annoyed.

“I want to get you a dress,” she said simply. “You're moving to England with a rich family, who's bound to go to parties and gatherings once and while. Plus, it's nearly Christmas.”

“Kami, no, I won't allow you to do that. I have plenty already from my mom and I don't want you paying for one of these,” I scolded.

Kami stopped at a rack and turned to face me, her eyes filled with sad seriousness. “Ali,” she whispered, “I'm losing my best friend...tomorrow. And it's killing me. I want you to take something, from me, to remember me by when you are on the other side of the world. Please, let me do this.” Her eyes were on the floor, filling with tears and my heart was breaking. Is it possible for my heart to honestly break anymore? I enveloped her in my arms with a weak smile.

“Okay,” I whispered. And so, as if she had been given new life for a mission, Kami pulled me around the store, rummaging through racks. I was beginning to think we'd have no luck, since I had liked so many, but Kami didn't approve, when I heard her call my name. When I met her at the fitting rooms, she was holding out a green dress. I grabbed it and slipped in a room. As I pulled it up, my breathing hitched. The green matched my eyes to perfection. The short sleeves and entire upper part to my chest was a delicate lace, the waist was fitted with some ruching, and the rest flowed down in solid, uneven layers on top of each other giving the dress its shape and body. It was beautiful. I stepped out in front of Kami. Her eyes widened and a proud smile met her lips.

“It's perfection its self,” she squealed. “It's the one!” I laughed as I gave her another hug before going to change. When we got back to the Riley's house, Mrs. had put on a big dinner for my departure. It was a last memory of us all being together, and everyone was trying to stay in a light mood. As the dishes were being cleared, I slipped on my shoes.

“Mrs. Riley? I'll be back. I'm just going for a quick walk.” She smiled at me in a knowing way and waved me off. I stepped out into the brisk air and crossed my arms around me. And I walked. And walked. Before I knew it, I found myself out front of that large, cream-coloured house only blocks away. I gripped the iron fence, staring at it intently. The “sold” sign out front made it feel foreign to me. This was the home I had lived in for the past few years. The home that became my greatest friend during all those lonely nights. The home that held my familiar surroundings, familiar sounds and smells. The home I had spent such wild nights with Kami in. It was comfort. How could I leave it behind? And yet, I had been given no choice. And so I turned walking away for the last time, letting my hands fall from the jail bars that kept me from going back to what I knew.