Chapter 39

Landon's POV

I didn't know where she was taking me at this hour. Though my mind was struggling with grasping some sort of reason, the rest of me felt numb. The city was lit up before me, as the cab sped through town to some unknown destination that Alicia had chosen. I was longing for nothing more than her gentle touch, but because of the jumbled state my mind was in, I sat as far away as possible from her, keeping my hands to myself and staring vacantly out the window.

“Here's your stop, miss,” the cab driver directed to my girlfriend, probably because anyone could easily forget I was even there.

“Thank you, sir,” I heard her respond politely as I stepped out of the car into the chilly air.

I walked around to her side, and she gripped me tightly, pulling me along with her down the bridge that spanned over the water.

“Pont des Arts?” I questioned softly.

I watched her eyes light up at the thousands of gold and silver locks lining the rails, each glittering in the soft lamp light of the night.

“Yes, I wanted to see it before we left.”

Her small form fell into one of the benches as she rested her elbows up on the rail, staring out at the quiet water. I could hear it lapping slowly as I dared to sit down beside her.

“You can touch me, you know,” she whispered, and her words almost made me scream.

Did she not realize that I felt like if I touched her, she'd fade right before my eyes? I couldn't help myself from believing the ideas Mr. Lewis had placed in my head.

“You have to talk,” she continued to mutter, “It's no good keeping it all bottled up inside.”

I knew she was right, but where do I start? I continued to stare away from her. She let out a sharp sigh.

“I heard it all,” she spoke, “Every last word he said to you. Every insult he hurled at you. I saw every kick, every hit, he gave you. So you don't have to worry about holding anything back. I know it all already.”

A warm sensation came over me, along with a hint of exasperation as I turned to face her finally. Her red hair blew into her face, and a delicate finger moved to push it away.

“If you heard it all, what can possibly be so hard to understand?” I snapped unintentionally.

Her eyebrows twitched and she jammed her hands into her pockets. “Why do you believe him? I don't,” she said plainly.

I felt something snap inside me. “You mean, you aren't going to leave?”

Ali shook her head. “No, I couldn't now.”

The corners of my mouth twitched into a small smile. I pulled her perfect body towards me so she could be nestled under my arm. I nuzzled my nose into her neck, leaving a sweet kiss. There was a soft giggle close to my ear.

“I take it that's relief?”

I only gave her a hum of acknowledgement as I continued to leave pecks on her neck and jaw.

“I don't know what I'd do if you ever left me,” I whispered finally, pulling away for only a minute.

But when I went to return to her neck, her hand caught my face pulling it back to her.

“You never have to think of what you're going to do, my dear, because I can assure you,” my ears pricked at her term for me, “you'll never see that put into action.”

I couldn't stop myself from crashing my lips into hers, throwing her off balance for a brief second until my arms caught her and pulled her in. Her lips were soft against mine, making me ever fight to get enough. She giggled, probably sensing my eagerness, her fingertips running up and down my face in a soothing manner. I pulled away with one last kiss, barely licking the tip of her nose. She laughed and wiped it quickly, giving me the reaction I wanted.

“I don't know what I'd do without you,”I breathed out.

“I don't know either, so it's a good thing I've stuck around,” I could see the smirk on her face.

“Are you trying to make something out of this?” I asked, nudging her.

She laughed and then fell mockingly serious again. “Perhaps.”

I felt a smirk grow on my own face. “Well, you'll have to be patient, but I know of a hotel room about 30 minutes away from here.”

I sent her a wink that made her blush.

“Oh be quiet,” she scolded, pushing herself up off the bench.

My chuckle came out, sounding a bit deep and she shot me a strange look.

“You alright?”

This made me laugh harder. “Oh yeah, love, just fine!”

A stale wind blew over the bridge, making us both shiver. “C'mere,” I said, gesturing towards her.

“Nah uh,” she backed away, but I could see the gleam in her eye. “Not until you're acting normal again.”

“I am!” I protested. “It's cold, we should go,” I said, holding my hand out to her.

“Two seconds,” she answered, digging in her pocket and revealing a silver lock.

She found a space quickly and clipped it on. With a click, I heard it lock and gave her a curious look. For a minute her striking green eyes met mine in the darkness.

“Okay, now we can go,” she pecked me on the lips and began to pull me away.

I stopped her and allowed my finger to run over the inscription engraved on the lock she had just placed. My breathing hitched as I realized what was there. In small, black letters it read:

If one day I can't find the words, remember we hold the key to each others hearts.