Chapter 25

Alicia's POV

My hair was curled in soft waves. I was wearing some mascara and some earth tones for eye shadow, but I was simply undecided on what to wear. It didn't help that my mind was in a thousand different places. I just couldn't focus properly after what had taken place in his bedroom a few hours ago.

I was shocked, caught off guard. I had gone in there expecting to deal with a heartbroken and angry Landon, but instead I had found a desperate boy. He had been forceful yet gentle at the same time. Like forceful in his decision and gentle in the mission. I hadn't been able to stop blushing in the dim lights of his room and now as I gazed at my reflection in the mirror, the girl that stared back at me was red-cheeked. I looked happy and I couldn't understand how one simple action could send me in such a spiral. I had to pull myself together.

The blood numbers of the clock read 3:30. I knew an easy hour was needed to get through the city. I glanced out my window, seeing the sky was surprisingly dark for the early hour. I still was trying to adjust to gloomy London. It was so far down the scale from Maine, though it was building a soft place in my heart more and more each day. A ring tone played off my phone and I turned to my nightstand to see the culprit.

Morgan: merry xmas girl! :)

I smiled down at the brightly displayed screen. Morgan had filled an empty place she'd never know she did.

Me: hey you! Right back at ya, miss u.

I needed to get together with her again soon over the holidays. I wasn't seeing her everyday at school right now. A knock sounded on my door and I quickly dashed to tie my robe around me.

“Come in!”

The door eased open slowly and in stepped Landon. I couldn't see him being that the room was dark, but I looked at the floor, blushing fiercely and trying to hide the wide grin fighting its way on my face. He cleared his throat almost nervously.

“Sorry, I thought you'd be finished by now.”

“No,” I answered a little too quickly, “I couldn't decide what to wear.”

I heard him hum with amusement as he walked past me, allowing his hand to run around me. The touch made me shiver again and I cursed myself inwardly for being so affected by him. He stood in front of my closet, arms crossed across his chest. I still couldn't see him very well, in detail like I wanted to, but his quiet yet confident movements were making me nervous. I was horrible at judging his next move, but then again, I had never cared to study them before. It was only recently I had taken such a keen interest in him.

He spun to look at me briefly, sizing me up and memorizing my features. He reached in a grabbed something I never expected.

“This one,” he smiled.

I tore my eyes away from him in dismay, forcing myself to face the fabric he had pulled from the back depths of my closet. Kami's dress.

“I can't,” I whispered, falling onto my bed.

Try as I might, I was not able to dismiss this ever growing storm in my stomach. I felt sick. I had forced myself to forget Kami, that included shoving all that reminded me of her to the darkness.

“Why not?” I was suddenly aware of his presence directly in front of me. It made it harder for me to think.

“Kami,” was all I could get out.

Landon knelt in front of me, laying the dress on the bed, and placing his two warm hands on my bare knees.

“You can't focus on this anymore. You have to move on, rise above it. I want you to be happy, for good. And I want to see you conquer, Alicia Carter.”

His valiant words startled me out of my misery, and when he bent to kiss the top of my hand, the jagged hole in my heart seemed to mend.

“Alright,” I whispered, and though my hands were shaky, I reached for the green fabric. “I got 10 minutes, I'll meet you downstairs.”

With a nod, he left my room. I took a deep breath, tossed off my robe, and pulled the unzipped dress over my form. It was pretty and the longer I stared at it, the more my sinking feeling diminished. I had to move on, whether I understood everything or not.

Slipping on a pair of black pumps, I took one last look at myself before opening my door, locking it and going to meet the rest. As I descended the stairs slowly, I was careful not to trip over my heels. I had never been good at wearing these things, though my mom had forced me so many times, stating, “It's what ladies do.” I smiled now at those all-too-familiar words.

Mrs. Ingram and Landon were waiting at the door. Landon was staring after his mother in exasperation as she raced around grabbing final things and continually checking her appearance in the entry mirror. I waited for him to glimpse me and when he did, his eyes froze in the most agonizing manner. A whole zoo of butterflies erupted in my stomach as his eyes took in my every detail. I swallowed hard as I came to stand in front of him. But before he could say anything, I nodded for us to leave.