Chapter 24

So....I'm back! And it's time for you guys to get a new chapter! 

The girl was quaking as she tried to find that source of courage inside her to do something that seemed all so simple, and yet seemed like walking through the gates of hell at the same time: knock on the door in front of her. To admit she was nervous was an understatement. The boy on the other side she had seen in both forms, an angel and a monster. Days of progress had been made, but it was oh so easy to take five steps back.

She lifted her hand, tightening her fist to stop the shaking. The three knocks, though soft as a breeze, seemed to thunder heavily in her ears, setting her even more on edge. When no stir came from within, she seized everything she had inside her, turned the knob and forced the door open. There the boy sat against the wall, his brown hair rubbed in an odd display, his large palms hiding his facial emotions. She took careful steps towards him, preparing herself for an outburst. But one never came. She folded herself so she was sitting cross-legged in front of him and wrapped her delicate fingers around his wrists, pulling his shield away so she could read his face. The eyes that stared back at her were lifeless and empty, sharpened only by a hint of anger.

“I can't go,” his voice broke the silence, hoarse.

“You must, Landon, you know that.”

Her voice was quiet and at ease, almost like the calm in the middle of a storm, a perfect opposite to his angry and worn-out one.

“You don't understand,” his voice rose, a little more desperate. “I can't, I can't, I can't,” and with each repetition of the phrase, he shoved her back a little by her shoulders.

The girl's back was up against the bed, but she stood her ground, hanging onto his wrists in a vice-like grip. He pushed himself up so he hung over her slightly and searched her eyes, but she did not cower away. He felt awe ripple through him as he noted the delicate and tiny form of the redheaded girl in front of him. She was a wild masterpiece, painted with so many colours and shades that had yet to be discovered. Some of the pieces to this masterpiece were missing, the spaces empty, but he knew with time, he would discover them. Just as she, continuing to plunge into the dark corners of his life, would soon find his, be it so under dirt and dust.

Without thinking, he dipped his head down, causing his lips to meet hers. Though at first she didn't respond, within a few minutes, they were moving in sync. He couldn't seem to get enough as he felt his pent up frustrations and anger slipping away, his mind only fully aware of her presence. As he pulled away, their breathing was ragged and her eyes, glittery and wide, searched to find his in the dim light of the room. He leaned into her body more and exhaled deeply. Neither could clear their minds from the magical feeling that seemed to suffocate the room. Had it surely not been this obvious before? With trembling lips, he pressed a slow kiss to her forehead.

“I'll come, for you and my mother.”

With a sudden burst of energy, she flung her arms out, wrapping them around his neck securely. He nuzzled his face into her shoulder, taking in her fresh, jasmine scent, and felt each muscle relaxing. Perhaps with her, he could breathe again. He knew it would only be a matter of time before questions began to assail him from those pink lips of hers, and it caused a slight knot to twist his stomach and make it feel heavy. He was scared to tell her, scared that he would lose the only thing he cared about, as was his sudden realization. But he knew he would have to trust her one day, and he just hoped she would stick around long enough to put him back together.

His eyes flickered to hers again to find her still staring up at him. She glanced down quickly, the darkness concealing her ever-brightening blush. He lifted her chin with his finger, and pressed yet another lingering kiss on her lips, taking a minute to feel them fully.

When he pulled away, his voice was a whisper, “I think you should go get ready now, hmm? We've been in here longer than it seems.”

As his face was still close to hers, he felt her cheeks shift in response to her chewing her lip.

“Yeah,” she was rather breathless, and it made the boy smirk with accomplishment. He couldn't help it.

“Can you manage?” he teased.

“I think I can,” she muttered a bit.

Her words seemed laborious and her hands were still tightly clasped around his neck. With a chuckle, he reached up and pulled them down, kissing her forearm.

She sucked in a sharp breath and said, “L-Landon, I've got to go.”

The boy held her gaze.

“I'm not stopping you.”

She seemed to be in a state of shock, like she was in another world entirely.

“I'll meet up with you then when we're ready?” Her voice squeaked at the end.

He pushed himself off the floor and away from the girl carefully.

“Definitely. Now go get ready.”