Chapter 7

Landon's POV

I kept pinching myself over and over, praying that this wasn't really happening. The worst day of my life was obviously today: sitting in London's airport, waiting for our little foreigner to show up. What honestly possessed my mom? This wasn't my kind of thing, I felt no sympathy. I'd much rather be out with my group of friends, partying and having “fun.” I loved to come home from those events, to an empty home where no one even bothered to check in with me anymore. Somehow I knew this irritating American girl would just get in my way and ruin everything.

“Flight 109, Portland Maine, landing!” came over the loudspeaker. My mom jumped up right away, as fidgety as I can remember. I rolled my eyes. My hell was about to begin. I could see person after person filing off the aircraft.

“How are you gonna recognize her?” I asked, disinterested.

“I don't know,” my mom said, wringing her hands

. I rolled my eyes once again and scanned the people. A girl caught my attention, walking through the mob. Her red hair hung loosely around her face, her shoulders hunched in effort to carry and pull her luggage. Her green eyes were heart-stopping, yet they held no trace of emotion. She was coming dangerously close to me. Just as she was passing, I stretched out my hand, grabbing the one heavy bag. Her eyes shot up from the floor to meet mine for a brief second, and locked. I felt my breathing fail. Oh great.

“Need some help?” I offered.

She nodded slightly.

“Name?” I asked.

She met my eyes again with one last ounce of confidence, “Alicia Carter.”

Alicia's POV

I barely took the time to notice the boy in front of me. He was just another strange hand reaching out to me that held no knowledge of my tale. But as soon as I had said my name, I heard my bag drop to the ground with a thud. His facial expressions turned hard and he turned curtly to a woman beside him. Without a single word, he motioned carelessly to me. The woman studied me for a moment, before she landed on my eyes. And it was in that moment of watching her face change that I knew who she was...Amelia Ingram.

“Just like your mother, Alicia,”she breathed.

She took a step forward and gave me a tight hug. I was surprised how motherly it felt. I managed to give her a weak smile.

“Hi Mrs. Ingram.” Without letting go of me, she turned to the boy beside her. He now looked quite harsh.

“Alicia, this is my son, Landon. He is 18.” I nodded at him, but he only looked away, not bothering to hide a yawn. I noticed the sad expression that crossed Mrs. Ingram's face.

“Well, come along, dear. I'm sure you must be exhausted.”

She sure snapped out of that fast. Even though he refused to look at me, Landon grabbed my bags and we exited the airport. We all stopped at a jet black BMW. Okay, these people definitely had money. Even better. Not. The ride through the city was silent. Surprisingly, Mrs. Ingram didn't even try to make conversation. She was a smarter woman than I had given her credit for. But then again, she had to be with that bad boy demeanour her son portrayed. I didn't even want to get to know him, and it was clear as day that he didn't want to know me either. That's fine. Two can play that game. When we pulled up to the house, I let out a little gasp. It sat on a hill overlooking the whole of London. It's enormous white pillars, landscaped gardens and wrap-around veranda took my breath away. I must have gotten lost at the sight because I felt someone brush past me rudely.

“Close your mouth. It's called a house. Ever heard of one?” Landon muttered, sarcasm dripping.

I swallowed hard. “Ever heard of manners?” I shot back.

He gave me a surprised look, but I continued past him. If I thought the outside was a sight, I was even more shocked by the inside. The elegant house was filled with marble floors, an enormous dark-wood kitchen, the living room with a giant transparent stone fireplace, and a beautiful polished, wood staircase the swept into the lobby area near the front door. All my life I had been accustomed to wealth, but nothing like this. It confused me. My mom and Mrs. Ingram still seemed miles apart.

“My dear,” Mrs. Ingram cut into my thoughts, “Are you hungry or thirsty? I know it's late but if there's anything you want or need, please let me know.” The look in her eyes was nothing but softness.

I nodded slowly and she pulled me into the kitchen.

“I suppose,” she chattered, “this is no such time for any fancy food, so what's something simple that you like?”

I smiled at her. It was hard not to. She got me better than my own mother had. Ouch. I brushed the thought away and thought hard on her question.

“Peanut butter and honey sandwich,” I giggled, causing a wide smile to cross her face.

“Sounds perfect. I'm the only other person I know of who likes that. Landon is always telling me how disgusting I am.”

I blinked twice, trying to decode her terminology, but came to the conclusion that is indeed what she meant to say. Whether he meant it in general or just in regards to the food, I didn't know, but I hoped for the better. I glanced at him. He was leaning against the counter watching me, but when our eyes met, his face turned dark and he exited the room. Mrs. Ingram saw my confusion and sighed, sitting on the bar stool next to me.

“Obviously my son doesn't realize that the first thing an orphaned child needs is a welcoming committee.” She ran a hand through her hair. “I'm sorry. I've always hated apologizing for my kid, but he doesn't do it for himself. Years back, when his father left us, he changed for the worst and prefers to have nothing to do with me. It's like spit in the face. We're constantly battling and all he wants to do is get away from this place,” she gestured around the room, “and the people in it.” At this, she locked eyes with me. “Sadly, that includes you.”

I reached out and took her hand, feeling like I owed her something since she just opened up to me. “I'm sorry, I know the feeling of living with someone, yet they're not there at all.”

Mrs. Ingram's eyes grew sad. “Your mother changed, Alicia. She never used to be like that. When you first came into the world, you were all she cared about. Everything she did revolved around you.” Silent tears slipped down my cheeks, though I tried to hold them back. I held up my hand, signalling I didn't want to discuss the subject. Call it harsh if you will, but I was still grieving.

“Oh, dear, I am so sorry! I didn't realize.” Almost immediately, I jumped off the stool and went to leave the kitchen. I stopped.

“Where's my room?” She came rushing over, grabbing my shoulder and taking my towards the staircase.

“I think Landon already took your bags up.” When we reached the top, there was a cozy loft with three window seats before heading straight down a long hallway. It was dark and littered with doors, all closed. We stopped at one and Mrs. Ingram opened it.

“Here it is,” she smiled warmly. “Yours and Landon's rooms are the only ones up here, despite the many doors. I sleep downstairs.”

I nodded. “Thank you.”

She turned to leave, but turned when she reached the door frame. “Alicia, whenever you want to talk, I'm here. And when you're ready to here about your mother, you know where I am.”

I couldn't help but smile. “I will, Mrs. Ingram.” And with that she left my room.