Chapter 23

And........the second one! Don't be ghost readers guys, please! 

Alicia's POV

Wrapping paper lay in crumpled piles around the living room. Beside each of our chairs were our little stacks of gifts. I hadn't gotten much, but then again, I was sure the price had made up in lack of quantity. I had begged Mrs. Ingram not to overspend. If there was anything I hated about occasions, it was that, and usually the numbers of people. I had received two very pretty dresses, one gold and the other a deep, midnight blue, undoubtedly for the many parties she attempted to take both Landon and I to. It surprised me how she never had a shortage of friends and coworkers to throw a good time. And yet, her lifestyle was still different than my mother's. She still managed to be at the house, cook, shop, and provide that authority for her son. Whether he listened to it or not, that was another story.

She slipped into the room again, still in her robe and slippers, clutching three mugs. She handed one to Landon, who seemed to be taking up on entire couch, his one arm positioned in the corner behind his head. His posture captivated me at the moment, but I had to break my stare so as not to appear obvious. With a bright smile, Mrs. Ingram soon approached me and I took the mug of hot chocolate gratefully. The room was a comfortable silence as we all dared to take a sip, burning the tips of our tongues in the process, but too eager for the hot liquid to care.

A sparkle caught my attention near my feet and I smiled down at the tiny gift, tucked away in a box. It was Landon's gift to me and I was equally surprised as his mother that he would even consider such a thing. It was a necklace, the diamond cut in the sweet shape of a music note, in silver plating. The gem was so clear and pure, I had already gotten lost looking into its depths many times.

“So,” Mrs. Ingram started as she settled herself in her chair, “what was Christmas like for you?”

I felt everything knot up inside me at that dreaded question. No one in their right mind would ever want to imagine the Christmas' I experienced. I heard Landon shift uncomfortably on the couch, but I didn't dare look at him. My eyes were quite comfortable to roam the floor as I struggled in my mind to find an answer to her question.

“Lonely,” was all I managed to get out before I swallowed hard.

Inside I was burning with frustration. I needed to be able to speak and tell people about the past without getting so broken up. My eyes flickered to Landon who was staring at me softly, and at his gesture, I got up and crossed the room, and nestled myself in his side. His arm wrapped tightly around my shoulder in response. Mrs. Ingram looked startled as I felt Landon's chest rise before speaking.

“Mom? Ali's parents started working every Christmas 8 years ago.”

“Oh, my dear! Pardon my asking! I-I didn't know,” she was stuttering all over herself.

I held up a hand. “No, please, there's no need. The pain is gone now, I just sometimes don't expect it.”

I tried to shoot her a smile, but I could feel my attempt was pathetic.

“I always had a babysitter, and for Christmas, she would bring me to her home with all her family. It wasn't half bad.”

I chewed on my cheek and waited for her response, but before she could get to that, the phone rang, sending a shrill sound bouncing off all the marble and wood. Mrs. Ingram was up and flying out of the room in an instant to go answer. I tried to make out the conversation in the other room, but my thoughts were too jumbled to focus. It was Landon's sharp sigh that took me by surprise.

“Not another,” he mumbled and his grip on me tightened, I'm pretty sure, from anxiety.

“Okay, thank you. See you then! Bye!” Mrs. Ingram ended the call in the kitchen.

As she entered the room, Landon's physical reactions were making me uneasy as to what she was about to propose.

“There's a party tonight. I forgot to tell the both of you, but just now, Mrs. Blackwell phoned to confirm the time. We have a couple hours yet. The dinner starts at 5 this evening.”

She sucked in another breath and I watched her hesitate on her next sentence.

“Landon, please...” and his body stiffened above me, “your step-father will be there.”

With momentous force, he threw me away from him. At first I thought he was displeased with me, but then I realized it was so he could stand up to leave the room.

“Never! You will not catch me dead going!” His voice roared with anger, making me shake.

He shoved past his mother's already pale face, and I only needed to count to ten before I heard the sickening slam of his bedroom door. Sitting in the chair, Mrs. Ingram rubbed her tired face with her hands and looked at me wearily. I stood, realizing this was very awkward for her, and decided to make my presence scarce, to give her space. On the way past, I enveloped her in a tight hug.

“It'll be alright,” I stated reassuringly.

This was before I found myself shaking in front of his door.