Chapter 37

Alicia's POV

I was still shocked at what had taken place two days ago. No amount of sight-seeing could seem to remove my mind from it. Mr. Lewis hadn't done anything to me, but I feared if Landon hadn't come in the room when he did, I may have not been so lucky. I still remember the look of fury on Landon's face as he burst in.

~Flashback~ “What the hell do you think you're doing with my girlfriend?!” Landon demanded, slamming everything he had in his hands on the table.

Mr. Lewis jumped back away from Alicia, his face showing surprise and fear. “N-nothing,” he stammered. “I was just having a word with her.”

Landon seethed as he paced back and forth in the room. “As far as I know, words can be spoken to each other from across the room,” he spat.

His face was a bright red, his eyes darting back and forth, his posture stiff and offended. “I don't want to see you in here again. And never again with my girlfriend.”

Mr. Lewis nodded hastily. “I did not mean to offend,” he stuttered again.

“Ha sure,” Landon spat, grabbing the shoulders of Alicia and pulling her into himself. “Be careful what you say until you know how much the person heard.”

Mr. Lewis's face seemed to pale just a touch.

“Now, get out before I throw you out.”

Mr. Lewis obeyed Landon's command at once, shutting the door behind him.~End of Flashback~

The memory of it made me shiver. Mr. Lewis's words still echoed in my head and I tried to make sense of them. What did this man want with Landon? I wanted to protect him so bad, but I was just a mere girl. How could I possibly be any shelter? Since then, I had heard Mr. Lewis apologize to Landon most sincerely. Perhaps it was just a mistake and they really were on the road to a relationship. I hoped for that, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that something else was going to spark up.

“Dear,” Mrs. Ingram said in a sing-song voice, “today is a day for us women. I want to take you out with me and I just know we're going to have a blast.”

I couldn't help but smile at her enthusiasm but I felt a tinge of dread and guilt. “What about the men?” I asked.

Landon took a bite of his breakfast, keeping his eyes fixed straight ahead. I saw a look of worry on Mr. Lewis but there was something else. Mischief, malevolence? Oh help.

“They'll be fine for the day. Won't you guys? Surely you two can get along for just a couple of hours!”

I swallowed and kept my eyes down. I had a bad feeling, a very bad feeling but I also was getting the vibe that Mrs. Ingram wanted to discuss something important. I didn't want to say no to the poor woman.

Landon placed his warm hand over mine. “It's fine, love, go right ahead. It'll only be a couple of hours I'm sure.”

I gave him a fake smile and searched his blue eyes that I loved so dearly. Mrs. Ingram sat down to talk to Mr. Lewis quickly.

“Please,” I leaned over in a whisper, “Landon, tell me if it's okay. I can't go without knowing. I don't want to leave you alone with him. I'm worried. I'll say no if you want and I'd gladly stay back with you...” My spiel was cut short as I caught the twinkle of amusement in his eyes.

“I'm glad to see you're so eager for my company, love, and believe me, I will take you up on the offer later,” the smirk on his face had grown. “But I'll be alright. Go have your guys' woman time.”