Chapter 18

Morgan's POV

“I can't believe it's nearly Christmas!” I squealed.

Alicia laughed but did a little bounce on the couch. “I know! Only 2 more weeks!”

I flicked through the channels on the television, but nothing was particularly catching my interest. I looked over at my friend who was twirling a piece of hair. She was restless, I could tell. So, it was time to put something in front of her to distract her.

“What do you say to watching a movie?” She raised an eyebrow at me, clearly pleased with the idea.

“I'll go make the popcorn!” Alicia shouted, jumping over the back of the couch, tripping slightly.

I rolled my eyes at her. At least she was happy tonight. A few minutes later, the smell of buttery popcorn met my nose and led me towards the kitchen. Alicia was sitting on the counter top, frowning at her phone.

“What is it?” I said, leaning over her lap to catch a glimpse of the screen.

“Landon,” she mumbled.

I paused and looked up at her. Alicia and Landon had been talking a lot lately, and I couldn't tell how they exactly felt about each other. She stopped when she realized I was staring at her questioningly.

“Morg!” she giggled, slapping me. “This is Landon we're talking about!”

I arched my eyebrow even higher just to get on her nerves more. “Who also happens to be incredibly good looking and somewhat attractively annoying,” I reminded her.

Her cheeks flashed a dangerous shade of red.

“Him and I don't even get along, freak.” Alicia shoved me out of the way to check the popcorn and shot me a fake glare.

I crossed my arms then grabbed her phone and pulled up Landon's name. Pointing at the screen, I said, “You can't fool me.”

She ignored this comment, snatching the bowl of popcorn and running past me, but not without a kick. I laughed and ran after her. The movie started and we soon were quite engrossed. Half way through, I could see Alicia was way to serious. I guessed it was the fact that with all she had been through, whenever she was sat in front of something sobering, her emotions naturally leaked out. I liked to hear her laugh, so I shoved a kernel of popcorn up my nose before obstructing her line of vision. When she caught sight of me, she gasped, her eyes immediately filling with tears. I grabbed her face in my panic. “Ali! Tell me, what did I do?”

She shook her head quickly and the tears kept pouring out. She grabbed her phone and pulled up a photo. Taking it in my hand, I studied it closely. There was a fireplace glowing warmly behind a girl with short, curly blond hair. Her blue eyes looked liked they were dancing, so happy. An enormous grin was pasted on her face and from her nose hung two giant, purple candies. I noticed there was a strange resemblance between her and I, and judging by Alicia's reaction, this girl was another ghost from the past. I pulled her into my arms, hoping the tears would stop soon.

“Who?” I asked.

She hicupped against my shoulder.

“Kami, my best childhood friend in America,” she whispered. “I've never heard from her since.”

I rubbed her back comfortingly, feeling the ache in my heart at her words. How could one person be through so much?

“Make it stop,” her whispering continued. “Morgan, it hurts.”

Alicia's POV

I felt so drained as my fingers flew across the ivory ladder of the grand piano. I was so thankful Mrs. Ingram loved music. It was something I always turned to when I was trying to get myself off-focus. Pouring from it was coming the most beautiful of sounds. The music was so rich in the quiet house. Mrs. Ingram was not at home. She had told me earlier that morning that it was time for her to get some Christmas shopping done. Landon hadn't appeared the entire time. He had been acting differently lately, on and off. I seriously questioned his sanity, wondering why he had so many conflicting emotions. I just wanted us to get along. As if on cue, his broad form swept into the room as I continued to focus on the song I was playing. I glanced up at him only once during the song, to see him leaning against the top surface of the piano, eyeing me carefully. Why did he have to look so good? I swallowed but kept on. Soon I got so caught up that I could barely feel his eyes boring into my body. As I finished, I let the last notes carry sweetly through the large room and finally turned my gaze to him. His eyes were sparkling as he leaned down farther towards me.

“I didn't know you could play,” he mused.

I sent him a smile. “There's lots of things about me you don't know. You just have to take the time.”

His eyes turned a slight shade darker at my teasing words, as I swept around the corner of the grand over to the couches. He followed me, as if he had no choice. I sat down against the armrest and watched him as he came ever closer.

“Teach me then,” he murmured, leaning on the top.

He was in my personal bubble and he knew it, but for some strange reason, neither one of us were objecting for once. He brushed my red hair aside and leaned in more. He gave me a questioning look, but I felt nearly frozen. I didn't know if my actions were going to be an invitation or rather a rejection. Just as his lips were only a second away from being on mine, Mrs. Ingram walked into the room.

“Alicia! Landon!” she called, but stopped when she saw us.

Landon pulled away quickly and stood up straight. I could feel my face was a hideous shade of red and Landon was acting very flustered. I hid a smile at his sudden embarrassment.

“Did I interrupt something?” She seemed confused, yet amused at the obvious tension in the room.

“N-no, I was just asking Ali if she wanted to go see the town with me today,” Landon stuttered. “She's been here for months now and hasn't really seen anything so I thought it might be fun for her.”

He continued to ramble, so I slowly slid my hand over the couch and locked my fingers with his. At my touch, his whole body reacted, as if under spell and the waterfall of words stopped coming.

Mrs. Ingram nodded. “Oh that's wonderful, son! I don't mind. You guys go whenever you're ready.”

Then she grabbed her boxes and bags and left the room again. I smirked at Landon, waiting for him to turn and look at me. Instead he looked down at our hands.

“Go get ready,” he ordered. “I'll meet you down at the entrance.”

His hand left mine, and I suddenly felt cold. Seriously? But I hurried up to my bedroom to change, since that was all I had to do. I squeezed into a pair of jeans, pulling over a navy sweater and a silver scarf. I rushed to the mirror to check my appearance, straightening my clothes, and brushing my hair aside. I froze. What am I doing? Landon is taking me out to show me London. It's not a date. And besides, it's Landon. I shouldn't care. Or did I? I flicked off the light to my room and went down the stairs. I expected Landon to be on his phone, but instead he leaned against the wall, waiting for me. When his eyes met mine, I blushed slightly and looked away. Inside, I screamed at my feelings. Get a grip! He held my coat out for me, all the while, never breaking his gaze. I turned my back on him to shrug into my coat, when suddenly I felt his hands on my waist and he reached around, doing up my last button.

“You're blushing,” I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“Shut up,” I growled, making him chuckle.

He pulled me into him quickly, with a smile on his face, before his eyes lightened and he pulled me out the door.