Chapter 4

Alicia's POV

I sat numbly in the chair at the office. Kami was here with her mother too. Thank goodness Mrs. Riley had taken over, otherwise I honestly don't know what I would have done. The topic of discussion was who exactly was going to take care of me now.

“Mrs. Riley,” the lady behind the desk said, “The reason Miss Carter must be with someone is because she is not legal yet. The law doesn't care if she will be 18 in 5 months. Right now she is not.”

For some reason, Mrs. Riley didn't seem to be getting that point. That or she was just desperate. I got it, but it doesn't mean I wasn't angered by it. I was. The last thing I wanted was to be dumped into some strange family's lap or taken away from my home. The lady spoke once again, after, it appeared, she opened a file on her computer.

“The residence was searched today for a will, in which one was found. The department has emailed me a scanned copy.” Her grey eyes scanned over the screen. “The will stipulates your guardian is Mrs. Amelia Ingram. London, England,” she read, looking at me over her glasses. I frowned. The name didn't ring a bell whatsoever. Great. “Does that name sound familiar?”

“No ma'am,” I croaked.

Pushing her glasses up higher, she reached for the phone, dialling a number. She drummed her bony fingers on the desk. “Yes, hello? This is Julie Parks from the Portland Law Office. I'm calling to inform you that we have an Alicia Carter here, who lost her parents roughly 48 hours ago. Your name is on the will, yet the girl doesn't recognize it.” She stopped her speech for a minute, listening intently to the voice on the other end, nodding now and then and writing some information down. “Are you prepared to take the child?” I scoffed. I wasn't a child anymore. I hadn't been for a long time. Being alone makes you grow up pretty fast. Kami leaned over and squeezed my hand, giving me a weak smile. “Oh, oh I see. Yes, I understand completely. Thank you for your cooperation and willingness. Our department will be in touch with you from London.” And with that Julie Parks hung up.

“So ladies, it appears Mrs. Carter and Mrs. Ingram have been close friends since childhood and both decided that if anything happened to either one, the other would take the orphaned children. She is in no way willing to break that promise.” Her eyes met mine and I swallowed hard. “Young lady, you will be going to London,” her tone softened.

Somehow I knew this was coming. Though I was breaking inside, I let no emotion show. I had to be strong. Mrs. Parks continued to drone on about policies, signatures that were needed and arrangements that had to be made. Apparently, I would be leaving within the week. I had heard enough. I had heard everything I needed to hear. I pushed the chair back and bolted for the door and out to vehicle, Kami and her mother hot on my heels. How long did they think I could possibly sit in there? The drive home was silent, each one of us contemplating what our whole afternoon had consisted of.

There were no pleasant feelings wrapped up in it whatsoever.

Landon's POV

I couldn't believe my ears. Was my mother insane? Who cares if it was some promise made decades ago! It was stupid, and I'm sure it had been filled with childish 'everything-lasts-forever' perspective. My life had been rolling along just fine until this news hit. All the reason to stay away from home even more. There was no way I was going to accept this puffed-up American...orphan or not.