Chapter 36

Landon's POV

Our first few days had been spent examining the heart of Paris, where all the shops lie and what expensive treasures they held. I couldn't believe the excessiveness my mother was showing. I couldn't help but wonder if it was at the influence of Mr. Lewis. I refused to call him my step-father anymore.

He seemed somewhat distant and I couldn't seem to figure it out. He had to be here for something and I was slowly realizing it wasn't for my mother. I prayed with all my heart it wasn't for my girlfriend. It had to be for me, but I thought he was finished with that. I tried to push the thoughts aside, seeing as I was spending time with my “family” and we were almost going on a week being here. Nothing major had happened yet so I wasn't worrying too much.

It was later in the evening on Saturday and we were on our way to see the infamous Eiffel Tower. When the cab pulled up, even I was shocked at the structure. Alicia was like a kid all over again, jumping up and down while I attempted to keep my arms around her.

“Can you believe this?” she yelled above the traffic noise.

I laughed and shook my head. Her neck was craned upwards as she stared at the top somewhere. She finally realized that the adults with us were near entering the lift and she grabbed my hand, taking off running.

“Slow down, love,” I gasped but she just kept pulling.

“Landon, hurry up!”

It was impossible to be mad or exasperated with her right now. She was far too adorable in her excitement.

We made it in, and I was relieved since we had been waiting a long while. I crowded her against the edge where she was looking out, avoiding my mom and Mr. Lewis on the other side. It was better that there were other people in here with us.

“Why are you so close?” Alicia hissed quietly, but I knew she didn't mind.

“I don't trust people,” I murmured into her neck.

She snorted a few giggles.

“Stop, that tickles,” she begged as I blew on her neck a couple times. “Do you like the view?”

“I love it,” I smirked.

She kicked my leg a little harder than necessary. “Look out the window, stupid.”

I laughed. “No it's amazing.”

The whole of Paris could be seen as we rose higher and higher. The lights spread out and flickered and you could see the reflection of the water. It was a sight I never thought I'd see, and I was pretty sure Alicia felt the same. The lift paused at the top, our highest point, and for a minute everyone grew silent. A few murmurs were heard throughout, along with many snaps of cameras. Alicia held up her phone.

“Funny face,” she ordered and I obliged.

I looked down to see her typing away. “Who's that going to?” I asked.

“Morgan,” she giggled.

Alicia: Morgs! In the Eiffel Tower. ;D

I could only grin. The things you do once you're with a woman.

I turned to get a look behind me. “I don't like how close they are,” I complained. “Mom and Mr. Lewis.”

Alicia sighed. “I know but there isn't much we can do about it right now. Hopefully when this trip is over, it'll be the last we see of him.”

I hoped she was right but deep down inside, I knew she couldn't be speaking a bigger lie.

<><><><><><><>

“Is there a reason I'm not tired?” Alicia rolled her body back and forth on the bed.

The funny thing was I had felt tired about an hour ago, but the influence of my fully energized girlfriend had quickly changed my mood.

“You want me to go grab something from in the lobby?”

Her wide hazel eyes brightened. She didn't even have to answer. I knew her desire.

“You better return the favour,” I winked at her and she flushed deeply, “and tell me that I'm the greatest boyfriend when I get back.”

She waved me off and chuckled loudly as I left through the door on my mission. I didn't have to wait too long. There were a few people down at this hour of the night, but I remembered that the most of the people in Paris were here on vacation and why have deadlines? I glanced at my watch seeing I had been gone for a near 15 minutes. I stumbled quickly, laughing at how Alicia would become if I kept her waiting too long.

The elevator tinged as it reached our floor and I made my way down the quiet hallway. As I neared the door, I could hear voices coming from inside, and I paused, curious. Pressing my ear against the door, I listened.

“Don't be a fool, Alicia. You have no idea who you're allowing yourself to get involved with!” It was an angry voice talking to her and he sounded very convincing. “He's such a waste of time. Worthless to you, might I add. Nothing but a boy.”

I heard her soft voice rise over his. “That's not true. How can you say such things? Landon is a wonderful person!”

I swallowed hard, scared to hear the rest of the conversation but knowing there was no way I was going to walk away or end it.

“So you're going to choose not to listen to me, hmm?” The voice had changed more to threatening and low.

“Y-yes, that's...right,” Alicia's voice wavered slightly and I wondered what the person was doing to her.

It worried me, almost to the point of bursting through the door.

“Ah you are a foolish girl. Don't waste your life with someone like that. I know people who could give you much better.”

It sounded like there was a thud.

“Get away from me,” she spat weakly. “I don't want you here anymore. I can't listen to what you have to say. You call yourself a man? I'll tell you, sir, my boyfriend is more of a man than you.”

I knew her words would stir up anger and I had to get in there before anything happened. I had heard enough. There was only one person who could possibly be on the other side of that door.

Mr. Lewis