Chapter 26

Landon's POV

Was it my fault I felt like a fumbling idiot sitting in the back of this car? I liked to blame it on the quiet angel sitting beside me in the backseat. Since the moment we left the house, my eyes were riveted on her and yet I had been able to say nothing. My mother was too preoccupied with thoughts of the party to notice the tension drifting between us. Alicia knew she was tormenting me, and what made it worse was the smirk written into all her features as she kept her gaze glued out the window and twirled a loose curl. I was stumbling over in my mind why I hadn't seen the signs before? Why had I fought against my first impressions at the airport months ago? As I looked back on the day, I could only come to one decision: I was insane. I was flying somewhere above the clouds with her at my side the entire evening. For some reason, the minute her heels stepped out of the car and she took my arm, all fear vanished. It was replaced with the feeling that as long as she was at my side, I could take on the world.

“Did I mention that you look stunning tonight” I whispered into her ear as we waited to push ourselves into the huge mansion before us.

She shivered at my close proximity but regained composure almost immediately, a smug look settling over her face.

“No, I don't think you managed to get it out.”

I squeezed her side roughly, earning a squeal as she wriggled to get away. She wasn't strong enough and I pulled her against me tightly.

“You aren't going anywhere all night long.”

She narrowed her perfectly almond-shaped eyes at me and leaned closer to my face.

“And why is that, hm?”

It took all my willpower to not close the gap between us, but the way she formed her words and had her eyebrows arched slightly, was making it an incredible battle.

“Because,” I murmured, “I want you by my side all night. And,” I placed a finger calmly over her lips before she could open them and get an argument out, “I don't think I could get through it without you.”

The smile on her face disappeared as she placed her small hand on my chest.

“I'll be here, I promise.”

My heart swelled, and with that simple promise, I knew I'd get through tonight. With her.

Alicia's POV

The house wasn't a house. It was a mansion. Extravagant and elegant with its white marble floors, beige furniture and deep red carpets. The walls were painted in the richest colours and chandeliers hung from the high ceilings. Were it not for the swarms of people filling its rooms and halls, the house would have echoed like a giant cave.

I pushed closer to Landon's side, feeling his warmth and immediately relaxing. I felt out of place. The people here were wealthy and sophisticated, with success engraved into their every movement. I was a simple girl, who hadn't even pulled away from the port in life, and had never tasted success. As far as I was concerned, my life just breathed of failure.

“Why are you so jittery?” Landon asked, eyeing the crowd around us.

“Nothing,” I muttered.

He shifted slightly to lean against the banister of the staircase we were standing on.

“Well I fancy myself a part of your life, so that includes details.”

I rolled my eyes and tried to ignore him. Laughter was thick in the large rooms, signalling that the level of intoxication was well on its way to high. The food looked pleasant, and although I had no desire to mingle, my stomach was making a public announcement.

“I'm going to chance things and try to locate some food. Want some?” I asked and took a step away from him.

He shook his head.

“Alright, then excuse me.”

I playfully curtseyed and watched the smirk that tugged onto his lips before making my way to the spread of food. Some of it looked a little too rich for my taste, but was the typical Christmas dinner. I marvelled that they could put on such a traditional meal for such a crowd, but then one look around the house reminded me that I'm sure they had no problems. After scooping up a bit on my plate, I turned to return to my refuge, but an elderly lady was blocking my path.

“Oh my dear,” she said with a hearty laugh, “don't you look like a princess tonight!”

I wasn't sure if I should take it as a compliment or criticism, but I smiled politely at the small lady who now had my hand grasped in her wrinkled one. She wasn't too old, but I would guess in her early 70s.

“Who are you here with, dear?”

I paused for a moment, unsure of why she was asking.

“The Ingrams.”

She seemed somewhat interested in my answer, but said no more than a “Oh, lovely people,” before offering a sweet goodbye and moving on.

Shaking my head, I turned back in my original direction. I took a minute to study Landon from the careful distance I was at. His tall form still stood on the stairs, his brown hair perfectly messy. He was dressed in a red button-up dress shirt with a pair of black jeans, and if he thought he was the only one who had the wind knocked out of him at the sight of me, he was quite mistaken about himself. His hands were clasped behind his back as he surveyed the room and for once he seemed happy. His blue eyes were shining playfully as they stopped on me, and I felt like they were pulling me back to him from across the room.

I pushed my way through the crowded room again, past people I had no desire to talk to and was glad they were equally disinterested. My head was directed to the floor, but I lifted it quickly to catch one more glimpse of Landon. The scene, captivating only moments before, had changed. A tall man with a broad chest and shoulders stood with him. His posture spoke of intimidation as his arms were crossed in front of him. His hair was a soft brown and he had the hints of facial hair on his chin. The tension between the two could be seen from a distance, and by the way Landon had his jaw clenched, I had a feeling I should be over there.

Quickly I closed the rest of the gap, showing up at his side a little breathless and smiling up at him. He looked at me carefully, but his eyes seemed disoriented.

“Ah who's this?” The man asked stiffly, his dark brown eyes narrowed at me as he looked me up and down. I felt uneasy and backed into Landon more, his arms gripping around my waist.

“Alicia Carter,” Landon answered for me.

The man gave an evil smile. “Girlfriend, huh?”

I hated his mannerisms. He was the type of person you could just look at and it would seal your impression for life. It gave you the feeling of just wanting to keep your mouth closed, but I couldn't continually make Landon come to my rescue. He seemed off balance himself.

“It's about time,” the man kept talking, “Thought you never would. What a shocker.”

His tone was dripping with offensiveness, and though I had been raised to never lie, I blurted out without thinking,

“Yes, for a matter of fact, I am.”

The man stepped away, almost as if he hadn't expected it. I saw Landon's hand unclench slowly by his side as he drew in a sharp breath. I decided to ask the question that was egging at me.

“Excuse me, sir, but who do you think you are to speak to him this way?”

The man's eyes flickered from mine to Landon's, before his mouth curled into a sneer.

“You never told her about the greatest, and only man in your life?”

Mock disbelief crossed his face, before he took a step closer to me.

“Young lady, I'm his step-father.”

I've attached a picture of Landon!