The House Cup

May 28, 1974

In the Great Hall, students from all four Houses spill into the massive room and settle at their respective tables. Everyone is wearing their full uniforms, including their pointed wizard's and witch's hats.

MARLENE: Can't believe it's already the end of the year.

LILY: Yeah. Are you looking forward to the summer?

MARLENE: A little. I mean, yeah. I love the sun, but I'd much rather be here than at home.

LILY: (smiling) Same.

LILY, MARLENE, and MARY sit at the Gryffindor table across from the Marauders.

SIRIUS: You think we got the Cup this year?

JAMES: I don't know. It looks pretty close. (He gestures to the glass vials at the Head of the room, where the red Gryffindor rubies are at about equal level to the green Slytherin emeralds).

At the staff table, ALBUS stands up and holds his wand to his cheek, magically magnifying his voice. The chatter in the Great Hall begins to quiet down.

ALBUS: Another year at Hogwarts, gone! The longer I stay here at Hogwarts, it always continues to amaze me how much we all can change in the course of a year. And as I look out at your faces today, I see how much you have grown. I see how much this school has changed you, for better or for ill. And though some of you won't be returning in the fall, I know that life will take you to many vast and fascinating places. But here and now, I implore you to never forget where your origins lie. Always remember where you came from. The home that you have made here is something that you will always carry, in your spirit and your soul. And on that note, the time has come to award the annual House Cup.

The Hall erupts into applause as ALBUS flourishes his wand above his head. The gems inside the four House vials empty themselves and fly towards the Headmaster. He holds out his hand, collecting them in his palm.

ALBUS: I see that it has been a very close count between two Houses this year. And now, by only twenty points, the winner of the House Cup- is Gryffindor!

The Gryffindor table erupts in mad applause as the entire House stands up claps and cheers. JAMES and SIRIUS roar with joy while LILY, MARLENE and MARY hug each other. Every Gryffindor takes off their pointed hat and throws it in the air. From the Slytherin table, SEVERUS wears a look of envy as he crosses his arms and blocks out the noise.

ALBUS: Congratulations, Gryffindor! May your hats soar as high as your ambitions and your dreams.

ALBUS shakes MINERVA'S hand courteously and sits back down at the staff table. MINERVA quietly claps her hands and smiles.

POMONA: (leaning over) Good job, Minerva.

MINERVA: Thank you, Pomona. It's been quite a while since I beat you, hasn't it?

POMONA: Quite a while, actually. I think Hufflepuff's won a good many times since you last had the Cup-

MINERVA: All right, all right. (She continues to clap as she gazes towards the Gryffindor table, where the Marauders are beginning to enjoy the Feast).

POMONA: (watching her) You truly care about them, don't you?

MINERVA: I've just never seen a friendship that strong before. Those boys- they have something special. And something like lycanthropy shouldn't take that away from them. You think I'm crazy, don't you?

POMONA: No! Honey, of course I don't! I mean, what you're doing with those boys, teaching them to become Animagi so that they can be with that poor Lupin boy during those terrible monthly transformations- Minerva, you're changing those boys' lives.

MINERVA: (smiling) No. They're changing mine. Every single day.

She smiles once more, wiping a small tear from her eye as the red Gryffindor banners begin to drape down throughout the entire Hall.