Wolf Tales

August 17, 1973

SIRIUS: Hey, Peter!

Inside the Leaky Cauldron, the Marauders make their way towards the back to find a secluded table. SIRIUS, spotting PETER enter from outside, runs up and gives his friend an enormous hug.

SIRIUS: How've you been, mate?

PETER: I'm good!

JAMES: Come on, let's go back here.

JAMES lead them to back booth, where the four friends sit across from each other..

PETER: What's going on?

JAMES: I didn't want to be anywhere we would be overheard. Anyway, Remus, how's it going with the whole werewolf thing, honestly?

REMUS: It's the same as it always is, James, there's not much I can do to change it-

JAMES: I know, I know, but there must be something we can do to help you out-

PETER: It's not like we could go with him during the full moon-

SIRIUS: (smiling mischievously) Or could we?

REMUS: No. I've already told you, there is no way in the name of Merlin that any of you can be near me during these transformations. It's way too dangerous. I can't let myself hurt you.

JAMES: It just pisses me off that we can't do a single thing to help you, here, mate. I mean, do you think there's a way to-

REMUS: James, I appreciate it, truly I do. But this is something I've been dealing with for some time now. I'm a big boy, and I can handle it. None of this has concern you, any of you. It's my problem, and only I should have to find a solution to it.

SIRIUS: We'll find a way, mate. I promise you, we will.

REMUS: (smiling) Thanks.

PETER: Quiet, now! Look who just walked in.

The four glance towards the back entrance, where LILY, MARLENE, and MARY enter the bar.

JAMES: (smiling) Excellent. (Calling out) All right, Evans?

The three girls turn around, and share a look before making their way back to their friends.

LILY: James Potter, cocky as ever.

JAMES: I might have good reason to be, Evans. Quidditch tryouts are open to third-years, you know.

LILY: Well, then. I'll have to make sure I show up to watch you fall from fifty-feet up. (MARLENE and MARY snicker behind her, and LILY pushes JAMES out of the way). Remus.

LILY hugs REMUS, who smiles and reciprocates her gesture.

LILY: How have you been?

REMUS: Fine, fine. You look really excellent.

SIRIUS: Hmm, I don't know about that one, mate. Marlene could give her a run for her money.

MARLENE: (shoving SIRIUS in the shoulder) Shut up, you arse.

SIRIUS: Come on, that was a compliment!

MARY: (laughing) Take it from me, buddy. Some girls don't hear complements the same way you do.

LILY: (waving her hand aside) Ignore them. Have you finished shopping?

REMUS: Uh, just about, I think. My parents wanted to go to Flourish and Blotts for some new quills, I think-

LILY: Okay, I'll go with you. We've got a lot to discuss.

MARLENE: (flirtatiously) Oooooo!

LILY playfully shoves her friend as she and REMUS lead the others towards the rear of the bar and into the backyard.

MARY: (politely) Have a good summer, James?

JAMES: Summer's been fine. Really keen to get back to school, though.

MARY: (mischievously) I'm guessing it's not classes that have got you so excited.

JAMES offers her a smirk before they approach the brick wall which begins to transform into the brick archway, leading them back into Diagon Alley once more.