T H I R T Y - F O U R

"Hey."

The voice that Evelyn definitely did not expect to hear spoke up as soon as she entered the classroom. She froze for a moment before smiling slightly, "Hi."

"Do you have a moment?" Valencia asked, the genuineness in her voice making Evelyn surprised. "I just wanted to talk to you. Preferably outside? There's still a few minutes before class starts."

Taehyung instinctively hooked his arm around Evelyn's protectively, recalling what Valencia has done to her.

"Of course, yeah." Evelyn nodded, her eyes telling Taehyung to not worry about her. The latter understood and let go of her, but followed behind from a distance.

After all, he said he was going to protect her.
He couldn't risk any chance of her getting hurt.

Valencia led Evelyn out onto the field by the cherry blossom trees. The warm breeze of the spring blew past the two, dropping a few petals down onto the grass and their hair. It was the perfect weather, the sun's soft rays ensuring that it wouldn't be too cold.

Valencia took a deep breath. Bowing at ninety degrees and three words fell from her lips. "I'm really sorry."

Her voice when she didn't speak so high-pitched was actually really pretty. It flowed like the rivers atop a mountain and was almost like music to the ears.

Evelyn's eyes widened. She didn't even expect Valencia apologize, and she definitely didn't expect her to do so in such a formal way! As Valencia was her senior, she felt slightly awkward and shook her head.

"I forgive you, you don't have to apologize like this—"

"No, I do." Evelyn could see the apologetic look in Valencia's eyes. "What I did was not okay. I don't know what got into me."

"Hey, it's all in the past now." A smile reappeared on Evelyn's face, "I know how hard it is to apologize to someone. I'm really thankful that you decided to talk to me today."

"Actually, apart from apologizing, I have something else I wanted to tell you." Evelyn's smile was so contagious that the corners of Valencia's lips began to lift. "I'll be leaving for Texas tomorrow."

The surprise Evelyn felt was evident by her facial expressions, "Wow!"

"I'd like to take this chance and start over." Valencia closed her eyes and slightly lifted her head up. The fresh scent of cherry blossoms filled her nostrils and made her feel at ease. "Thank you for giving me a chance. Would you be wanting to start over? As in, reintroduce ourselves and perhaps be friends?"

Nervousness flashed past her face and she bit her bottom lip. The whole incident for Valencia was like a slap to the face. She'd been acting so snobby her whole life—and she hadn't realized it until the members of BTS and Sehun decided to step in. A trip to the police station and seeing all the criminals made her realize that there was so many better things to do in life. Ivy wasn't the nicest mother, but why should she let her be in control? Even though moving away was meant to be a punishment from Ivy, she thought of it as a new opportunity.

Evelyn didn't answer her question. Instead, she stuck out a hand. "I'm Oh Evelyn, nice to meet you."

Valencia's eyes seemed to light up. "I'm Kang Valencia. It's my pleasure." She shook her hand.

"Promise me we'll stay in contact? Even when you'll be in Texas?" Evelyn placed her hands back at her side happily. Another friend is always better than another enemy, right?

"Of course."

The two just stood under the trees for awhile, sharing the silence. It wasn't awkward at all, in fact, it was rather reassuring. They didn't talk, but a they both felt a connection. Perhaps that was the best way to end all the conflicts, the grudges and the jealousy.

My best wishes to you, Valencia. Evelyn glanced over at the other, their eyes making contact.

You too, Evelyn. Valencia smiled. This time, it was genuine and not a plastic one that was plastered on her face whenever she spotted an adult.

Taehyung watched the whole conversation from a distance. Once he realized that everything was resolved, he laid down onto the grass and closed his eyes.

Oh, how he missed the feeling of sunshine.

...

"Evelyn..."

Her eyes opened wide, slightly panting from being startled. "What? Who's there?" As Evelyn's heartbeat became more regulated, she began to examine the things around her. Actually, there were no things around her. This did not look normal.

She was surrounded in lots of colours. Red, blue, purple, black, yellow... it made her dizzy to look at. It was an area of absolutely nothing except for the wild colours that formed the room.

A figure appeared out of the floor—or maybe it was the roof, Evelyn had no way of telling—and began to speak. It wasn't creepy at all, in fact, Evelyn thought that it was fascinating.

"Do you... love V? Or, I suppose, Tae? Kim Taehyung?" The voice belonged to Annabeth, one of the "gods" in charge of the dead.

"I do." Evelyn replied without hesitation. "I love him."

"Are you willing if he sacrifices himself to be with you?" Annabeth's voice was soft and soothing.

"What do you mean?" The brunette looked confused.

As Evelyn's childhood friend, she knew that Evelyn would not allow Taehyung to do so.

Yes, Annabeth was Evelyn's childhood best friend. Unfortunately, she ended up dying of a heart attack and became who she was now. Evelyn didn't remember her, but that was alright. It only made her job easier.

Thinking up to this point, an almost overwhelming amount of sadness overcame Annabeth. She took a deep breath and began speaking again.

"Are you sure you want to know?" Annabeth gave Evelyn a warning. "Once you find out... it might be goodbye, forever."

Small wrinkles began to form between her eyebrows as she furrowed them together in confusion. Recalling Taehyung's previous words about her furrowing her eyebrows, Evelyn attempted to smooth out her forehead before speaking. "I... I want to know."

What did she mean?

He was sacrificing himself for her?

Didn't he say that there'd be no consequences?

—————————————————————

A/N:

Hope you liked this chapter! This is probably one of the last chapters of the main storyline (V x Evelyn).

I might include extra parts for the other love lines if you guys want to see more though! ^^

I'm worried that the ending will sound rushed to some of you, but I personally like the finale that I planned (since the beginning, actually!) so I hope you'll like it <3

Please look forward to it!

~ lostkookiez