Parents

—TJ's POV—

I opened my eyes slowly and winced at the pain in my stomach. I looked around the room I was in and saw Cyrus asleep with his head on jakes shoulder and Jake asleep while leaning on Cyrus.

"Cyrus? Muffin?" I called quietly.

He opened his eyes and saw me awake and rushed to the bed.

"Oh my god your okay. Thank god your okay. You promised Tj. You promised me you would be alright. You promised me that you would come back." Cyrus said quietly.

He hugged me and started crying.

"I know. I'm sorry muffin but look, I'm okay." I said with a fake smile.

"Tj you have a hole in your stomach." Cyrus said bluntly. "Your not okay."

"Wow. Way to sugar coat it." I mumbled.

"Jake, wake up. TJ's awake." Cyrus shook Jake gently.

"Hm?" Jake asked groggily. He opened his eyes and saw me rolling my eyes.

He stood up and came over and hugged me.

"Hey buddy." He said as he kept holding me. I heard a quiet sob.

"Hey, don't cry. I'm okay." I said softly. I rubbed his back as he cried into my shoulder.

"I thought—I thought I was going to l-lose you. I couldn't bear to lose you T." Jake mumbled as he kept crying. "I love you Tj."

Tears started forming in my eyes.

"I love you too Jakey. But hey, I'm okay. You aren't getting rid of me that easily." I said softly.

Jake buried his face in my shoulder and continued to cry. He held on to me like he was going to lose me if he let go and by the sound of it, they almost did lose me.

I reached over and took Cyrus's hand in mine and held it tightly. Cyrus smiled slightly and wiped the tears out of his eyes.

"I love you." I said softly.

"I love you too. I need to go find mom and let her know your awake. I'll be right back." I nodded and Cyrus walked out.

"Jake, what happened? Who shot me?" I asked.

Jake let go of me and set beside me on the bed.

"Dad did. He said he thought you were an intruder. Cyrus almost killed him. He jumped over me and lunged at dad. If I hadn't held him back, I'm pretty sure dad would be here too." He said.

I chuckled softly.

"How did you get this?" I reached down and picked up his hand and looked at his bloody and raw knuckles.

"By punching dad. Then Cyrus had to hold me back. I haven't seen mom yet. I'm Not even sure if she's coming."

"She probably won't. When dad kicked me out, all she did was sit there and not say anything." I said.

"How long ago did they kick you out T?"

"Seventh grade." I murmured.

"Dude I'm so sorry. I should've been there for you. I should've been here to help you—."

"Jake it's okay. I promise. Your here now. That's all that matters." I smiled at him and I saw him relax a little.

From outside the door we heard a woman speaking.

"Can you tell me which room Tj Kippen is in?" A second later, mom walked through the door. "Oh my lord, thank goodness your alright."

"Mom why are you even here? It's clear you don't care about us." I said bluntly.

Cyrus and Diane walked in.

"We're back, oh—." Cyrus stopped himself. "Hi."

"Who are you?" Diane asked.

"I'm Susanne, TJ's mom." Mom said quietly.

"Oh. So your his mom. The one that let him walk out." Diane said sourly.

"We're going to be outside." Cyrus pulled his mom outside.

"Why are you here exactly?" I asked.

"I divorced your father."

"No. You divorced the bastard who used to be my father. The only parent that I have is Diane. Diane has been there for me since Cyrus and I got together in SEVENTH GRADE. She's been more of a mom to me these past six years than you were my entire life. I think maybe you should leave." I said confidently.

My mom stood there shocked for a second but nodded her head and walked out.

I fell back on my bed with a large sigh and closed my eyes. I felt someone staring at me so I opened my eyes and looked at Jake.

He was looking at me with concern.

"What?" I asked.

"Why are you crying?" He asked. I reached up and wiped away tears that I didn't even know I had.

"I don't know. I guess it's just hard facing her after all these years." I said quietly.

"Don't worry. Everything's going to be alright. I'm sorry but I have to go though."

"What? Where are you going?" I asked quickly,

"I'm going to look at an apartment. I'm not leaving you again Tj."

I smiled and hugged Jake.

"Just text me when your on your way back." I said.

"Don't worry I will. See you later buddy."

"See you later."