chapter 19

I ran to my car and drove to the hospital in no time. I spurted to the waiting room where Dianna was waiting for me.

"What happened?" I blurted out, tears streaming down my face.

"She got into a car accident." Dianna looked like she had been crying, I don't blame her.

"Is she okay?" My mind was racing. I was praying in my head she was okay.

"She wants to see you. She was yelling your name and wouldn't stop until I called you." Dianna said with a hint of a smile on her face. "Hey," She quickly added. "take care of her, okay?"

I nodded and smiled, not knowing what to say. Dianna showed me where Demi's room was and went back to the waiting room, probably waiting for the rest of her family. I took a deep breath and opened the door. I gasped when I saw her. My eyes started watering again. She looked so broken and tiny in the huge hospital bed, like the simplest touch would make her shatter in pieces. She had wounds all over her face and arms and her leg was held up in the air.

Her eyes were closed so I guess she was sleeping. I took the chair in the corner of the room and placed it next to her bed. I sat down and took her hand, that's when her eyes opened.

"Serena?" Her voice was barely audible.

"Y-yes." I sniffled and wiped away some tears.

"Why are you crying? I'm the one who should be crying." She chuckled.

I shot her a weak smile. "Are you in pain?" I whispered.

At that very moment a doctor came in. "Mrs Lovato broke her left leg and broke her ribs. She needs a lot of rest and can't work for-" He looked up and noticed me sitting there. "Oh, you don't look like her mother." He laughed.

"My mom's in the waiting room." Demi attempted to say out loud. The doctor nodded and was about to walk away when Demi asked a question. "I can't work for how long?"

"Seven weeks to be sure. I need you to rest as much as possible, Demetria." He smiled and walked away.

"Demetria." I wiggled my eyebrows, trying to lighten the mood.

"Oh shut up."

I carresed the back of her hand with my thumb. "So, what happened?"

"I just wanted to go buy candles." She laughed but stopped quickly. I guess it hurt.

I raised an eyebrow and cocked my head to the side. "Candles?"

"For our date." She smiled.

I shook my head. "D-Demi." I slowly started. "I think we should wait for a while."

"W-what do y-you mean?" She stuttered.

"I don't know if it makes sense but, I think it's like the universe is trying to tell us something. Like it's not our time to date or be in a relationship." My mouth was talking with a mind of its own. I didn't want to break up something we barely started, what was I doing? Demi just stared at me, she didn't even blink. "I'm sorry I don't make any sense, I'll just shut up." I smiled nervously.

"It kind of does make sense." Demi whispered as she wiped away a tear. "Maybe you're right, we should wait."

I nodded my head, not knowing what to say. "Friends?" I croaked out.

"Friends." She whispered.

I stayed with her in the hospital room until I couldn't bare with the awkwardness. I told her I had homework which wasn't the best lie since it was only the first day, but she let me go without hesitation. I guess we both felt how awkward it was.