Chapter 23

No author's note is needed for what is about to happen. All I can say is, "I'm Sorry," If y'all wanted something fluffy and happy to read after crushing your souls with Infinity War, this ain't it. 😕

Those four words are cold water to the burning fire that is drunkenness, and suddenly, I am sober as a Baptist preacher. (Idk, the analogy sounded good) I jerk away from Sebastian so quickly, my head bashes against the cabinet again. Sebastian is half turned, leaning against the island, facing the doorway leading into the bedroom.

Tom stands there, clearly livid. Beside him is America. God damn it. I can feel the blood both drain from my face and flush at the same time. I close my eyes, trying to wrap my head around the mistake I almost just made. Why, why did I not stop him?

"What is going on?" Tom's voice has dropped a few octaves, and it is clear that he is the furthest thing from okay. I open my eyes again, seeing America, staring at me and Sebastian, pale as parchment.

"I..." My throat is dry, and I can't force comprehensible words from my lips. "I..." This time, my voice cracks, and I just shake my head, dropping my face into my hands.

"Someone tell me what the bloody hell is going on?!" Tom yells. I flinch, terrified.

"It was a mistake," I hear Sebastian start, and I will him to shut up. But he doesn't. "One fueled by alcohol. It's my bad, mate."

"It was clear she was kissing you back!" America growls this time. I slide down from the counter, wondering if I can run fast enough to make it out of the room.

"Stay where you are!" Tom spits, and I freeze, wishing for all the world to be dead.

"Tom, I'm sorry," I whisper. "I didn't mean to! It was an-" The look Tom shoots me might very well strike me dead.

"What's going on in here?" The drunken slur comes from Elizabeth Olsen, who has just stumbled into the room.

"Nothing. It's probably best if you go back in." America's voice is hard as steel. I can feel tears pricking at the corners of my eyes, and my knees begin to shake. I worry that I won't be able to hold myself up. Elizabeth takes one look around, then backs back into the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

My breath is coming in quick pants, and tears now blur my vision. God, how could I be so stupid?

Tom walks over slowly, his footfalls sounding like a hammer nailing the nails into the lid of my coffin. I cast my gaze down to the floor, unable to make eye contact with him. Softer footsteps match his, and I know that America is following him.

A single tear escapes my eye, and I wipe it away as quickly as possible.

"Explain to me. You have thirty seconds." Tom's voice is now deadly quiet, and my knees finally give out. I slide to the floor against the cabinets, burying my face in my knees.

I hear Sebastian begin to speak, quietly and urgently. I squeeze my eyes shut, locking my fingers behind my neck in pained desperation. I am shaking like a leaf, every muscle tense. My chest constricts so I can barely breathe.

I realize suddenly that Sebastian has stopped speaking. I clench my jaw, forcing myself to raise my face. They are all looking down at me.

"What?" I whisper, feeling a tear roll down my cheek.

Tom's face is white and his eyes are misty with drink and burning with anger. Sebastian looks a little green, his teeth gnashed together. America looks betrayed, her face drawn and ashen.