Chapter 57

I sigh contentedly, watching as Mr. Alexander, Elizabeth, Amanda and Stephen coo over the twins. Tom is sitting at the foot of the bed, gently rubbing my leg as we watch our guests.

"You're going home today, right?"Amanda asks, smiling.

"Yes," I reply, sitting up a little more. "Now that the doctors are sure that the twins are healthy, we can go to the comfort of our own house." I shift a little. "All we have to do is schedule their first doctor's visit, and I need to take vitamins and go to a couple of check-ups myself."

"They had a bit of a scare, didn't they?" Mr. Alexander remarks, coming to sit in the chair by my bed. I just nod, taking his hand. Tom's face turns a bit pale at the thought of what had almost happened during my labor.

"We had to be expecting it," I say, sighing. "I knew there was a possibility that there had been some damage from before. But I also knew that the doctors would have taken care of me."

I see a muscle jump in Tom's jaw, and I lean forward to take his hand. He glances up at me, trying to rearrange his strained features. I smile a little before leaning back, still gripping Tom's hand and forcing him to have to scoot closer to me to keep a hold on my hand.

Over the past day or so I have had a stream of visitors. Some have gotten to see the twins, others haven't, depending on when they filtered through. But the most important people have gotten to see them, and even hold them, as Elizabeth is doing with Holly. George begins fussing, and Tom gets to his feet, walking over to the boy.

When Tom has picked up George and has him cradled, my heart swells. Tom walks over to the bed once more, sitting down gently with our son in his arms. I grin widely, tears threatening to spill over my cheeks.

"They're so cute," Amanda comments, grinning down at Holly, whom she is now holding.

"So tiny," Stephen replies, standing next to her, a smile on his face. I chuckle, wiping tears from my eyes. At Tom's worried look, I shake my head, patting his leg.

"I'm just happy. These are happy tears, I promise." I brush them away.

"In a way," Tom says this slowly, elevating George's head slightly so I can see his tiny face. "It's like recompensense. For what you lost."

I smile again, tilting my head slightly. "You may just be right, Tom," I whisper, grinning at the boy in his arms.

"You've definitely been blessed," Mr. Alexander says. "Even through all of your pain and suffering, you've been given such a loving husband and amazing children," He chuckles at this last bit. "Children born on Valentine's day, to boot."

"Children born from love, on the day of love," I respond, grinning.

Holly begins fussing in Elizabeth's arms, and I reach out my hands for my little girl. Elizabeth hands her over, and i look down at the face of my child.

"What's the matter, hm?" I ask her quietly, stroking a finger down her cheek. She, to my surprise, she turns her face into my touch. She whimpers a bit before settling into my arms. Soon, she is asleep, resting her head against my chest. Elizabeth takes the girl from my arms gently, placing her back into the carrier. Now that the nurses are sure that George and Holly will be fine, we get to take them home today.

Tom, now rocking a sleeping George, stands to go put him back in his carrier as well. I stretch my arms over my head, grunting a bit in discomfort. I then push the blankets aside, dropping my legs over the edge of the bed. I stand slowly, trying to keep from getting a head rush. Tom comes to support me slightly as I stagger before having to sit back down.

Tom gives me a worried, look, and I squeeze his forearm gently. "I'm just not used to standing. I've been in that bed for so long."

"And or good reason, too," Dr. Hernandez walks in after knocking gently on the door, a small smile appearing on her face. "Labor is exhausting in any case. But you had the extra complications." She comes to stand closer, holding a folder in her hands. She glances over at Mr. Alexander and his family.