Chapter 3

As soon as we get back, Alpha takes me to his room, locking the door, then sitting on the bed. I stand, glaring at him.

"Sit." He says, and I narrow my eyes at him.

"No." I snap, and he sighs.

"Look, I don't even know your name." Alpha says, and I smirk.

"Okay?"

"Tell me your name." He says, and I sigh.

"Will it give you some sort of freaky hold over me if I do?"

Alpha laughs, shaking his head.

"Fine. My name is Lyssa." Alpha furrows his brow, looking at me.

"Is that short for anything?" He asks, and I swallow.

"Nope. Just Lyssa." I lie, and he smirks.

"You're a terrible liar, Lyssa." He points out, and I scowl.

"Mind your own business. What's your name, Alpha?"

"Paul." Alpha-Paul says, and I scrunch up my nose.

"What?" He demands, seeing my scrunch face and frowning.

"What's wrong with my name?" He growls, and I snicker.

"Nothing's wrong with your name, dipstick, it's just, not what I was expecting." Paul relaxes, though not by much.

"Oh. Why am I not what you expected?" This makes me laugh even more, which confuses Paul.

"You are what I expected for an alpha. It's your name." Paul looks lost, and I lose it and start laughing loudly.

"What's wrong with my name?" He shouts, and I stop laughing, holding a straight face.

"It's just so...average. Usually alpha names are from a different languege or something." I tell him, and Paul rolls his eyes.

"How would you know what the other alpha's names were?" He asks, and I clear my throat, avoiding his gaze.

"If us hunters are in a playful mood, we force the wolves, sometimes alphas, and make them give us their names right before we kill them." I say softly, remembering all the plaques in my father's rooms with the alpha's name etched into it.

I glance up at Paul, who is studying me intently.

"Did you ever do this?" He asks, and I nod.

"How many?" I think back to the different plaques I have, then shrug.

"Wolves or just alphas?"

"Both." I swallow, but look him in the eye, holding my head up high.

"I have over one hundred regular wolves, and over thirty of those were alphas." I say, adding some pride in my voice.

Paul growls, eyes darkening for a second, then returning to hazel. He gets up wordlessely and walks out the door, pausing only to lock it again, except this time it's from the outside.

I huff, glancing at the tiny, oval window at the opposite side of the room, then flop down onto the bed with a sigh. No way am I getting stuck in a window. And, I'm tired. And this bed is really comfy.

I scoot up and grab a pillow, noticing that it has Paul's scent all over it, then slip under the covers and sigh, sinking into the pillow topped matress. I push my hair out of my face, then pull the covers up to my nose, slowly falling asleep.

@ @ @ @@@ @@@

A soft afternoon light shines through the tiny window, coming to rest on my face and essentially waking me. I yawn, trying to move my arms and find them pinned to my sides. I start to panic, blowing my bangs out of my eyes and looking down under the covers.