Year 6: My Fault

Felicity's POV

Although I desperately wanted to split away from the group and search for Draco, there was no way to do it, not with Harry having already seen him. So I smiled through the rest of the conversations until we decided to leave the pub.

We set back out for Hogwarts, Hermione and I trailing a bit ahead of the boys, before they caught up. Mione slung one arm around Harry and the other around Ron as I did the same with Ron, giggling as we stumbled.

Suddenly, someone in front of us screamed. My grin froze, and I instantly shook off Ron's arm and ran towards the girl. "I warned her not to touch it!" she cried. I recognized Katie Bell lying on her back on the snowy ground, eyes open wide. Then she lurched to one side, as if invisible strings were pulling her to the right, then the left, then back again.

And then she was in the air. I gaped as she floated 10 feet off the ground, arms out, her mouth opened in a silent scream. Then she fell to the ground again, with a thud that made Mione wince. I took a step forward, but before I could advance any more, Hagrid's familiar voice called out- "Don't get any closer! Get back, all 'er you."

He gently picked up Katie in his arms as if she weighed less than a feather. I crouched down next to a slender box, the top lid askew in the snow. "Do not touch that, except fer the wrappin's. Do you understand?" Hagrid instructed me. I nodded absentmindedly as I levitated an old-looking necklace cautiously and returned it to the packaging, before picking up the box carefully.

We followed Hagrid to school in somber silence. He directed us to McGonagall's office and before taking Katie to the Hospital Wing. McGonagall was already there, waiting anxiously for us. She instantly started interrogating Katie's friend, Leanne.

"You're sure Katie did not have this in her possession when she entered the Three Broomsticks?" McGonagall asked, a hand pressed to her chest. Leanne seemed on the verge of tears. "It's like I said. She left to go to the loo. And when she came back, she had the package," she stated, her voice trembling, "She said it was important that she deliver it."

McGonagall's brow was furrowed as she asked, "Did she say to whom?" Leanne replied, "To Professor Dumbledore." McGonagall didn't look surprised. "Very well," she said, "Thank you, Leanne. You may go." Leanne left and Professor McGonagall turned to Ron, Harry, Mione, and I.

"Why is it, when something happens, it is always you four?"

I would have smiled if my peer weren't in the Hospital Wing at the moment. "Believe me, Professor, I've been asking myself the same question for six years," Ron sighed. Footsteps sounded throughout the chamber, and McGonagall let out a noise of relief. "Oh, Severus. Thank goodness."

After taking several minutes to examine the necklace, McGonagall asked him, "What do you think?" The necklace slowly turned from where it was levitating in the air. "I think," Snape said quietly, " that Ms. Bell is lucky to be alive."

Harry spoke up from beside me. "She was cursed, wasn't she?" No one replied for a moment before he continued. "I know Katie. Off the Quidditch pitch, she wouldn't hurt a fly. If she was delivering that to Professor Dumbledore, she wasn't doing it knowingly." I nodded in agreement. "Yes," McGonagall confirmed, "she was cursed."

"It was Malfoy," Harry stated factually. "What?" I hissed, turning to face him fast enough that my hair whipped across Ron's face. Harry didn't even look at me as McGonagall said, "That's a very serious accusation to make, Mr. Potter." Snape seemed to agree, stating coldly, "Indeed. Your evidence?"

Harry didn't falter, even as Snape and I glared. "I just know," he insisted. I snorted incredulously. "You 'just know'," Snape repeated slowly. Harry nodded, barely perceptible, from beside me. "Once again, I'm astonished with your gifts, Potter," Snape now drawled, "Gifts mere mortals can only dream of possessing. How grand it must be, to be the Chosen One."