Year 6: "Do the right thing." (Draco's POV)

Draco's POV

I ran a shaky hand through my hair as soon as I uttered the spell to allow the Death Eater's into Hogwarts. I turned on my heel and strode toward where I knew Dumbledore to be, Felicity's words echoing in my mind.

Do the right thing, Draco.

She'd never forgive me. Not for this. My steps sped up, and before I knew it, I was taking stairs two at a time until I heard Dumbledore's voice. I slowed down, listening intently for anything else, but it was silent. I rounded the corner and drew my wand.

"Good evening, Draco," my Headmaster greeted, unsurprised to see me, "What brings you here on this fine spring evening?" His pleasantries only made me more sick to my stomach. My voice quivered as I demanded, "Who else is here? I heard you talking."

Dumbledore mused, "I often talk aloud to myself. I find it extraordinarily useful." He dropped the oblivious act as he murmured, "Draco, you are no assassin." Rage boiled inside me. At him, at the Dark Lord, at myself and my family.

"How do you know what I am?" I spat, "I've done things that would shock you." The statement sounded fragile and poorly delivered.

"Oh, like cursing Katie Bell and hoping that, in return, she would bear a cursed necklace to me? Like replacing a bottle of mead with one laced with poison?" Dumbledore asked knowingly. My wand dipped as it occurred to me that he knew. He knew this whole time.

"Forgive me, Draco, but I cannot help but feel these actions are so weak that your heart can't really have been in it," he added. Again, I felt that rage, fueled by terror. "He trusts me," I snarled, pulling up the sleeve of my cloak to reveal what I'd been hiding all year, "I was chosen."

Dumbledore took in the black Death Eater's symbol inked upon my forearm and said, "I shall make it easy for you, then." He lifted his wand up and I snapped, "Expelliarmus!" Once again, he looked like this was all going according to some plan of his, like nothing could surprise him. "Very good, very good," he said. I nearly yelled that I didn't need his compliments before the door to the tower opened with a resounding clang several stories below and he said, "You're not alone. There are others."

I nodded imperceptibly. "How?" he questioned, taking an inquisitive step closer to me. "The Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement," I told him grudgingly, weakly, "I've been mending it." Dumbledore looked almost impressed. "Let me guess, it has a sister. A twin."

Again, I nodded. "In Borgin and Burkes. They form a passage." He almost smiled. "Ingenious," he praised, "Draco, years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices. Please. . . let me help you."

I could hear what had to be Aunt Bellatrix and Fenrir running up the stairs. "I don't want your help," I seethed, "Don't you understand? I have to do this. I have to kill you. Or he's gonna kill me. And Felicity. And everyone I love." Again, I heard her voice, felt her touch as she kissed the tears of my skin.

Do the right thing, Draco.

But it was too late.

They rounded the final corner, and I immediately heard my aunt's joyful gasp. "Oh, look what we have here," Bellatrix cooed. She walked leisurely over to me and rested her chin on my shoulder. "Well done, Draco," she whispered. I didn't acknowledge her.

"Good evening, Bellatrix," Dumbledore greeted, "I think introductions are in order, don't you?" Bellatrix smirked. "I'd love to, Albus, but I'm afraid we're on a bit of tight schedule." She whirled to me and hissed, "Do it!"

Do the right thing, Draco.

"He doesn't have the stomach," Fenrir growled, "Just like his father. Let me finish him in my own way." Bellatrix was almost spitting venom. "No, the Dark Lord was clear! The boy has to do it," she yelled, before turning to me, "This is your moment, Draco. Do it! Now!"

My hands were shaking and tears were clouding my vision and I felt the words on the tip of my tongue but couldn't say them. I lowered my wand a half of an inch when-

"No."

Relief flooded my veins, replacing my blood as Snape arrived at the scene. To this, Dumbledore looked shocked. "Severus," he murmured, "Please." I didn't have time to say a single word before Snape chanted, "Avada Kedavra."

I stood, horrified, and did nothing as an innocent man was killed. My jaw dropped and I thought I was going to vomit. My whole body was shaking as Fenrir pulled me back down the stairs, to wherever we'd be fleeing after committing this atrocious crime.

Do the right thing, Draco.

I'm sorry, Felicity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

andddddd technically this is the last chapter of year six

hope you all enjoyed, i wanted to make this chapter to show more of draco's reluctance and horror about killing dumbledore, and how he only did it to protect his family, felicity, and himself

i'll try to update as soon as i can

<3

~alex

cigarette daydreams - cage the elephants

roaring 20's - panic! at the disco