The cafeteria

It was almost lunch time and Evan was panicking. He was going to have lunch with Connor. But, why was that such a big deal? He started thinking about that.

"Why am I panicking? It's just Connor... H-He is not... scary. He is actually.... c-cute? Wait.... what did I just think? OH MY GOD. DO I L-LIKE HIM?? NO! I-I'm not going to fall in love again... This will just make things harder... I'M NOT IN LOVE! We j-just met today... That's it!I'm not in love! Heh...."

The bell rang again and he went to the cafeteria nervously.

Jared was sitting with some other friends of his. Evan was used to it. Jared only sat with him rarely, so the shy boy stayed alone almost every day.

Evan sat down in a random table waiting for Connor.

It's been five minutes and he wasn't there yet. Evan started panicking even more. He thought Connor might be kidding with him when he invited him to lunch together. This made the boy really sad.

When Evan was about to leave the cafeteria, he saw Connor passing through the door. The tall boy sat down next to him.

"Hi Hansen. Sorry for taking so long. My sister is such a bitch. Ugh, she said that I was going to fuck with everything and probably drag you to a drug store or something like that. She is an asshole!", he said angrily.

"I-It's okay... r-really.." Evan said shyly.

"I guess she will leave me alone. Now it's just you and me huh"

At these words, Evan's face got deep red. He only nodded and started eating his lunch.

These words started repeating inside his head making him smile shyly and giggle a little.

"Y-You and m-me? O-Only us?" Evan asked nervously.

"Yeah Hansen", Connor said laughing.

The two laughed at this kinda awkward conversation and started talking about things they like, trying to find common interests.

Jared was staring at them with a confused face. He couldn't believe that Evan Hansen, the most innocent boy ever was hanging with Connor Murphy, the weird druggie freak and probably a psychopath.

And the gossip started. Everybody on the cafeteria started whispering bad things about the two boys innocently talking.
Meanwhile, a girl entered the cafeteria and started approaching the table where the two were sitting.

Connor seemed to be happy listening to Evan talk about trees and other things he liked to do. He had a little smile on his face, showing that he was having a good time.

It was the first time someone really wanted to talk to Connor. That's why he was feeling so happy.

The tall boy noticed the girl approaching and his little smile suddenly disappeared and turned into an angry face.

"What are you doing here Zoe?" Connor complained.

"Just making sure you are not going to kill anyone", Zoe teased. She turned to the shy boy and said "Your name is Evan right??".

Evan only nodded.

"It's better if you stay away of my brother because he can easily kill you, right Connor?! And you should stay away from him before he drag you to a drug store or something like tha-", Zoe continued teasing, but she stopped talking when Connor slapped her on the face.