Chapter 1

Cold.

It's cold here.

There's no light either. No wind.

Just darkness.

Through it, something in the darkness called out to me.

Like a beacon or a sailor seduced to a siren song, I followed, allowing my mind to expand as I search for the source of what called me.

The darkness morphed into stars. They littered the universe, like a shock wave.

My breathing remained steady, as I focused further.

I've been here before. Sometimes when my mind wanders, it follows the footsteps of the source of my powers.

It's always like this.

But most days it's just boring.

Today was different, however.

Very different.

My skin prickled, goosebumps rose at the sudden change in temperature.

In the outside world, I distantly hear the sounds of piercing alarms.

Pests.

Now was not the time.

Concentrating, I let my power loose, bluish green followed by glints of gold instantly surrounded me, pulsing a barrier wave that would gain me more time in the outside world and also this reality.

Wherever that may be, that is.

The gold weave through the air, acting as a sort of conduit that would shield me further.

I stepped forward but instantly paused.

Dark veins are crawling up my shield and I frowned at the unknown energy.

Well, this is new.

Just as quickly as the thought came to mind, a shadow, massive and looming hovers above me like a mass of darkness.

I hadn't noticed it as it appeared so suddenly.

My fists tightened, defences raised.

Whatever it was, it was a threat.

Strengthening the shield, I glower at whoever stood in my way, completely ignoring the fact that my energy is depleting at the amount of force I'm conducting.

The mass of darkness is blurry at first, like flickering candlelight, but the mass solidifies the longer I stare at it.

There's someone sitting on that dark throne. A pair of purple eyes, a glint of heavy armour gold.

He smirks knowingly.

In time, you will understand.

The veins enveloped my shield whole, darkness crashing onto me like a tidal wave. I release the barrier, feeling my chest constrict in pain and my body hum with energy.

I'm crashed back to my physical body, and groaned, feeling pain dot my spine as I pried my eyes open.

Definitely new.

Blinking rapidly, I force my gaze to unhinge itself from their trance.

Unfortunately what greeted me was not my usual empty room, rather a dozen guards with guns practically shoved at my face.

Frowning, I raised a hand still undoubtedly confused.

"Do not move!" One of them bellowed, holding the gun higher.