Chapter 22

Damn.

It.

Tony swears once this is all over, he was going to get so drunk Pepper would probably have to call the ambulance for alcohol poisoning.

There's a cackle over the comm as Tony fought off numerous Chitauri's fixated on him.

"Stark? Do you hear me?"

It was Nick Fury, and he sounded distressed. Tony could not reply as the little bastards jump on top of him and tried to dismantle his suit.

"You have a missile headed straight for the city."

Son of a bitch.

"How long?" He says, grunting when the Chitauri's hit him with their alien tech.

"Three minutes. Max. The payload will wipe out midtown."

He was on a timer and he needed to move quicker.

Shooting out repulsors at the Chitauri, Tony got onto his feet.

"JARVIS, put everything we got into the thrusters!"

"I just did." The AI replies.

Shooting outwards, Tony barreled through numerous Chitauris and darted out the city, towards the Manhattan Bridge.

As he sped up, his mind briefly flashed to Lorelie. He couldn't help but be worried. Last he heard from her she had landed on Stark Towers and was still breathing.

This was a battle that he didn't know how would end.

"I can close it! Can anybody copy? I can shut the portal down!"

Natasha shouted from the comm around the same Tony saw the missile deploy from a distance.

"Do it!" Steve automatically responds.

"No, wait-" Tony cuts in, hoping to god his suit doesn't give up on him now. There were sirens blaring all across his screen.

"Stark, these things are still coming!"

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute."

Stopping by the Manhattan bridge, the missile shoots forward and Tony raced after it, his thrusters hitting their breaking point.

"And I know, just where to put it."

Ducking under, Tony grasp hold of the missile with effort and pushes it upwards, the force making his brain spin.

"Stark..." Its Lorelie. Her voice makes Tony heart squeeze. "Don't die."

So she knows what could happen.

But he had to do this if he was going to save everybody. If he was going to save her.

"Stark... that's a one-way trip."

Tony ignores Steve and Lorelie's words, opting to close it out and to focus on the mission.

"Sir... Shall I call Miss Potts?" JARVIS says sadly.

Tony smiles sadly. "Might as well."

Through his suit, JARVIS dials Pepper's number but the call goes through and she doesn't respond.

"Tony..." Lorelie's tone is odd, like she's tired and beyond exhausted.

I'm sorry Blues... I guess I'm breaking my promise.

He doesn't stop to think about it because suddenly the comm is filled with blood-curling screams that makes his anxiety double overtime.

At first, he thought something was wrong with the comm but when he listens to it further his heart sinks.