Chapter 41

Steve was lost.

His eyes remain locked at the ground as if it held all the answers in the world.

How many times had he thought about him? How many times did he lay awake at night wishing he saved him?

But he was alive.

He saw him.

Bucky.

His best friend.

The worst part was that he was the one that trained Lorelie to be a killer. HYDRA's pawn.

Two of the most important people in his life had a background he could never comprehend.

At that moment Steve wasn't sure who to trust.

"It was him," Steve mumbled, frowning, fits clenched beneath the metal cufflinks that kept him.

Natasha and Sam glanced up upon hearing the Captain speak after several moments of silence.

The black van they were in, moved quickly, making the ride bumpier than usual.

Two guards were situated at the front and another two at the back.

"He looked right at me like he didn't even know me." Steve shook his head, having grown uneasy at having thought of the last moments before Bucky fell.

"How's that even possible?" Sam asked, sounding confused. "That was like 70 years ago."

"Zola," The name sounded bitter coming from Steve's lips. "Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They must have found him and..."

What else could he say?

That he had left his best friend for dead?

That he had allowed Bucky to be captured and turned into a killing machine?

For the most part of this era, Steve always believed he was the only one left. He'd believed Bucky had died that day, but what was this?

Like a ghost from his past had come back to haunt him.

"None of that's your fault, Steve," Natasha sighed, the wound of her shoulder hurting more so than she liked to admit.

"Even when I had nothing, I had Bucky." Steve was trying to defend himself, or maybe defend Bucky, he wasn't sure.

The redhead shut her eyes, opting to feel physical pain than the mental pain of watching Lorelie get captured.

She couldn't do anything about it. She was too late.

She failed her.

Again.

Sam notices Natasha is getting paler and pointed it out to the guard. "We need to get a doctor here. We don't put pressure on that wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck."

Abruptly the guard pulls out an electric rod that silences the three of them.

Sam reels backwards, ready to say something nasty, but just as quick as the rod is pulled out, the guard struck the rod at the guard beside them, and kicked at his head, knocking him out instantly.

They watch in amazement as Maria Hill, unclasp the helmet off her head.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain." She pauses, looking at Sam before settling on Steve. "Who's this guy?"

;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;