Chapter 21

As Natasha begins to climb back up the roof with the sceptre in hand, I give Selvig a grim look.

"Don't say anything. If she stops, pick it up and finish the job."

Natasha would never let it happen if she knew. The Russian Spy cared too much. But when it came down to one life over many.

You choose many.

I help Natasha up, ignoring the pull from the sceptre as it buzzed in my ears. She steps forward onto the mechanism holding the Cube in place and takes a deep breath.

"This better work,"

She starts to push the sceptre into the forcefield and it works, because the air around us begins to zap, crackling loudly in warning.

I feel it.

Right from the moment the two energies near each other collide.

My whole body freezes as the same pressure I've come to know as my abilities react disastrously. The voices grow loud.

I bite my lip and try, really hard, to prevent the screams from escaping my mouth.

A profound amount of pressure has settled over my chest, pinning my limbs, making them paralyze.

"Right at the crown!" Erik commands pointing at the odd contraption.

Natasha pushes through the barrier, sparking blue sparks as they glinted around us. She tears a hole through the barrier and I can't help but gasp.

The escaped energy impales me. It feels as though she's torn a hole through me instead.

"I can close it! Can anybody copy!? I can shut the portal down."

She's shouting into her comm--I've started to see stars.

I fall to my knees behind her as the pain crawls up my spine like sharp spikes had embedded themselves deep into bone.

My vision flashes.

"You're not supposed to go in there!"

I faced the boy much older than me and practically pouted.

He doesn't know Daddy likes to show me the blue cube. He doesn't know that Daddy wants me to move things around for him sometimes.

"But he's always hiding! I'm tired of it!" I ignored how he tried to stop me and pushed through the office, marvelling at how big it was.

"We're going to get in trouble!" He chases after me but stops once he takes in where we are.

Daddy never likes to bring him here.

Only me.

He says it's because I can take it. That he doesn't want An' to get involved.

It hurts when I'm near the blue cube.

I've tried to tell him but he doesn't believe me-

My eyes snapped open as the memories ceased me, choking the life out of my very being as it rip through my mind like a tornado.

I know him.

His brown eyes.

His dark hair.

I know him.

I've seen him before.

"Close it!"

Briefly, I heard Steve say something into the comm, and Tony's breathless voice following after.