Chapter 2

Waving my hands in front of me, I constructed several loops, the bluish green energy morphing across my hands in beautiful glints of gold.

Fury wanted me to locate the tesseract. It wasn't a surprise why he wanted me to do it.

I was connected to it, therefore, I could find out where it was.

Easier said than done.

Sometimes I think that pirate thinks I'm a dog sniffer or something. It doesn't work that way.

"Lorelie?"

I rolled my eyes at the voice and stared at the intruder of my room.

"Lorelie is a mouthful, I swear to god," I grumbled, disintegrating the construction I built in front of me.

"Right, I forgot how much you hated it, Riley."

Natasha Romanoff smiled and handed me a tray of food.

I stared at it and groaned.

"It's always the same thing! I swear Nick just wants me to throw a tantrum!"

Natasha laughed at my behaviour and sat beside me on the bed.

"How are things looking so far?" She asked gently, patting my shoulder. It was a friendly gesture, something the Black Widow would never be caught doing.

"Terrible," I frown and thought it over. "I know I'm connected to it... I mean I can feel it, but I can't locate it."

"Hm," Natasha raised an eyebrow at me, green eyes flashing with a hint of warning. "Anything else?"

Damn it.

She knew.

The usual cold and calculative spy had always been different when she was around me.

In the past, I thought it was a mask, some sort of an illusion to get me to trust her, but it's been years. I knew this was the real her. She had just been afraid of opening up to anyone.

"There's a... growing energy to it," I confess, creating a ball of energy in my palms. The light seemed to fill the room, practically blinding anyone who would see it.

Natasha squinted, her eyebrows coming together in a knit. She's aware that my powers had never been this bright before.

"I can feel it running through my veins like it's preparing..."

Preparing for what, I do not know.

This was what Nick was concerned about. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have rushed back to the Helicarrier in the first place.

With the tesseract previously in SHIELD hands, SHIELD could experiment on it and find out what it was, find out why I have a connection to it.

But now that it was gone, that left me as collateral damage.

As much as Fury says he's only worried I might turn bad again, I know he was genuinely worried and didn't want to lose me if the tesseract goes out of control.

"That's bad." She sighed, rubbing her forehead, the strands of her red hair curled nicely against her chin.

Well, there are bad days. And then there were legendary bad days. This was shaping out to be one of them.

Shaking my head, I try to ignore how uncertain I really feel. "Are they here yet?" I asked, looking at her.

Her eyes glint in understanding at my question.