Chapter 37

He doesn't remember how he got here.

It was like something in his mind just telling him to move and he did.

The voice had never failed him before. So why should it fail him now?

Obey, listen, follow orders.

It's all he knew.

It's all he understood.

It wasn't long ago that he went under.

But they woke him up.

Telling him of his new mission and what he needed to do.

The last time he saw her, was when she stood in front of him. The fog was covering the glass and he remembered how he fought to stay awake, how he fought to look at her one last time.

"I will always be there."  

Their vow.

She'd repeated this to him, hard permanent expression plastered to the ground as his eyes closed. 

They had broken her--him.

They were their puppets.

He's never questioned it before.

Why should he start now?

The man he's been waiting for turns the corner and entered the kitchen. He doesn't realize he's there until he turns to see him in the dark.

Waiting.

His gun is drawn but he's left it on the table.

A show of obedience.

That he's ready to serve.

A voice out in the hallway calls out his name. "I'm going to go, Mr Pierce. You need anything before I leave?"

The dark figure remains still as Alexander Pierce fiddle with the milk carton and stares him down.

"No. Uh, it's fine, Renata. You can go home."

He heard the housekeeper turn to leave but doesn't make a move.

"Okay. Night-night."

Pierce looks behind him, mumbling a; "Goodnight."

Now they are left alone and in silence.

"Want some milk?" Pierce asked.

The Winter Soldier does not reply, voice remaining croaky from how rare he used it. He opted not to speak, his training prevents him. He won't break it.

He did when he encountered her.

But he wasn't going to make the same mistake.

"The timetable has moved. Our window is limited. Two targets, level six." Pierce moved around the counter and poured the carton of milk into a glass.

He then approached the Winter Soldier and sits in front of him, relaxing slightly.

The Winter Soldier remains alert, well aware that the man before him could easily take the gun and put a bullet through his head.

And he won't be able to do anything about it.

"They already cost me, Zola. I want confirmed death in ten hours."

The Winter Soldier remains unresponsive, Pierce's words registering in his brain.

Kill. They want him to kill again.

Before either of them can react, they are suddenly interrupted when the housekeeper returns.

The Winter Soldier glances up at her, gaze narrowed.

"Sorry, Mr Pierce, I... I forgot my phone." Her eyes widened at him sitting in the dark and she trembled.

Pierce wince, apparently knowing what is to come. He liked the housekeeper.

"Oh, Renata. I wished you would have knocked." Pierce grabs the gun off the table and fires two resounding shots that kill her instantly.

The housekeeper lay dead on the floor, blood dripping out of her wounds and staining the wooden flooring. Through all of that, the Winter Soldier remains unflinching.

Pierce puts the gun back on the table and faces him.

"You've failed your last mission."

He snaps his gaze back to Pierce, hearing the warning in his tone.

His shoulder still burned from her stab with the knife and his knee was still healing from when she cut him with the blade.

Kill the girl. Leave no witness.

That's what they ordered him to do.

But he hadn't anticipated how fast her skills have grown, how quickly she's adapted. Fighting her on the roof and in her apartment only proved how much of a force she is, to be reckoned with.

"Surprising isn't it? When you went under she was still with us. But now you wake up and you realize you have to fight her."

The metal hand on the table clenched on their own accord and he put it away to hide behind his back.

For the first time in a long time, he didn't want to do as he was told.

Maybe that was why he hesitated, maybe that was why he left when she jumped out the window.

Pierce smirked at the obvious response.

After all, the Winter Soldier trained her. They worked together and when they did, they brought death and destruction.

Cities fell, governments crashed.

Pierce knew they only had themselves when he forced them together.

He remembered the torture he put them through when they disobeyed and he would willingly do it again.

She escaped from their clutches, ran away when they got careless, but now he had everything he needed to get her back to where she belonged.

Her response to the attack proved just how worthy she is. It'll be a waste to get rid of such talents.

"Don't kill her," Pierce says, leaning back on his chair.

The Winter Soldier raises his head at the command, his mind registering what he meant.

Pierce took a sip of the milk and darkly smiles.

"Bring her back alive, whatever means necessary."

~~@ @ @~~

You didn't see that coming?

*Wink wink*