Chapter 39

FUTURE

"You can chain me. You can make me forget. But you will never break me."

The currents began to grow unbearable, the electrical charges pulsating throughout my body and up my neck.

I am unable to hold on any longer.

Insufferable screams crawled out of my mouth, sounding inhumane and animal-like.

I fight as hard as I can, ignoring how my ears ring, how my nose starts to bleed, how every molecule in my being forces me to just let go--give in.

Just before everything went dark, I face my captor with a cold shackling, expression.

"When I come back, I'm going to kill you."

;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;

The door in front of me is closed. No light emits from the crack in the bottom. He's probably asleep.

I debated if I should knock. Should I knock? I should knock, right?

Freaking knock!

But my hand fails and I bite my lip, leg lashing out, hitting the side of the wall, frustrated.

Idiot.

"Riley?"

Whoops.

Turning around, I realize Steve had opened the door whilst I was distracted kicking at the wall. I hold out two hands in front of me as a gesture of surrender.

"Hi."

I really looked like a messed up idiot.

Steve leaned against the doorway of Sam's guestroom, one hand rubbing at his eyes tiredly. He opens the door, gesturing for me to come in.

I kept my head low and planted myself on the bed, fingers running through the covers.

"Where have you been?" He demanded, voice rough from sleep.

Well, that gave me a slight thrill.

"Out. Walking. It's a great night to be out, don't you think?" I was rambling and Steve seemed to realize this because he sat next to me on the bed.

It dipped from our weight making my position shift slightly so our knees touched.

Okay, this is not what I was intending.

"You know we're on the wanted list right?"

"Not the first time, it happened--"

Steve brought a finger to my chin and gently brought it up so he could peer into my eyes.

My words instantly died in my throat.

"That was dangerous," His eyes are stern, his grip even more so. "Don't do that again."

I obeyed his touch, surprised to find my whole body heating in response.

I came here to talk to him.

Or maybe, was that even my intention at all?

"Steve," Pulling away from him, I let my head drop. He reluctantly lets go but doesn't move away from his position.

"There's a lot of things I want to say..."

I cut myself off when I find I can barely say it. I don't want to tell him what's going to happen in a few hours from now.