10 - why

“I know you bring me to my knees. I know you’re way out of my league.”
~Jon McLaughlin (I want you anyway)

After eating, we make our way back to my place where Ad hopes to stay till the morning. It was one room, but I’ve got the couch and the bed so even though it isn’t as comfortable, it’s a good place to start.

Hadid had said nothing since I told him about Luke about thirty minutes ago and something tells me he wants to say more than silence and I don’t know if I should be happy he’s silent or sad.

“Have you seen or spoken to him since then?” He finally asks as we walk down the side of the road.

“No,” I shake my head, “not since I asked him to leave. I’m grateful he didn’t go confronting or telling Noah about it.”

He carefully stares at me before asking, “How do you know he hasn’t told Noah?”

I take a deep breath and bite down on my lips. “I would have known. I may not know much about Noah, but he is a jealous idiot-“

I barely get to complete my words when I see Brandon walking towards us. Brandon was one of those people who believes that if you don’t like or get along with them, you can’t like or get along with anyone else. He was a nightmare when I first started at Leeds and I only got him to back off after threatening to burn down his parent’s home. Now it sounds like a monstrous thing to have said to someone, but it was the only thing he believes and I made him believe it to cause I was willing to do it. It’s not like he isn’t a pain in the ass anymore, it’s just that I don’t give him much attention anymore.

“What are you ladies talking about?” Brandon asks as he catches up to us, and my eyes roll as once again he comes to annoy me with his presence. “

“None of your business. Leave me alone.” I seethe at him, not bothered to look at him as we continue our journey.

Ignoring that his presence is not wanted around, he joins the walk. “Got a new boyfriend now? Is that it?” he demands.

“She said to leave her alone!” Ad snaps and Brandon turns to look at him.

“Shh girl, no one called you into this.” He raises a silencing finger at Ad, “So, is there still a guy?”

“Yes, there’s a new one, your dad. And if you ever come close to me, I’ll seduce your father and make him marry me and become your mom.”

He halts and takes a step away from us without saying another word. We keep walking away and knowing he isn’t following me anymore is such a relief.

“Well, that was fast,” Ad breathes out as he looks back and probably sees Brandon no longer following us. “What you told him was wicked!”

I groan before honestly revealing to him, “I meant it though.”

“What?”

I roll my eyes, “Don’t give me that look. He’s a pain to both of us.”

“Yeah, but marrying his dad to spite him? That’s unlike the Avril I knew.”

“The Avril you knew was a virgin, with good grades and a bright future and she was a good girl, but that’s not the Avril you’re talking to now. Most days I look at myself in the mirror and I don’t know who I see and it’s not just another joke, that’s going to go away, it’s the reality I live in.”

“I’d like to think she’s in there somewhere still.” He mumbles quietly as we get to the door.

“She’s not,” I answer and open the door before stepping inside.