1 - arrogance

“It’s hard to get high when you’re living on the bottom”
~Kelly Clarkson (People like us)

Flashback to two weeks ago.

“Sorry excuse me, sorry, sorry, coming through,” I said as I pushed through the crowd of people standing at the café to get to the line. As I got closer to the front line, I searched for Hadid among those at the forefront of the line.

“Get back in line Lady!” I heard some angry waiting customers yell out as I walked past them and did myself a favour, I ignored them and kept walking.

I spotted my ginger-haired best friend at the second spot on the line and I walked over to where he was.

“For a moment I thought you changed your mind,” he said with a little startled look.

I scoffed, “I’m not crazy yet.”

The Royal café was one if not the best coffee makers in our little neighbourhood and just like me, a lot of others would like the taste of its heavenly coffee before beginning the day.

Most days there would be few people in line and other days like today there would be many people waiting in line.

We came here about thirty minutes ago and midway into our waiting; I remembered I had forgotten the list of the volunteers for the Educate A Child, which is being campaigned today. I had to get it not because it was important, but because some of our sponsors would come and this list will help us get together to meet and greet with them. I knew I had to go back home and since I had Hadid with me; I asked him to stay in my place until I return.

He stepped out of the line and lets me into his space, “I still don’t know why you would rather have coffee than chocolate.”

“Would you ever pick blue over pink any day?” I asked, my brow rising.

He rolled his eyes and argued, “This is different.”

“Whatever you say, my Prince,” I said, grinning from cheek to cheek.

The man in front of me collected his cup of coffee and walked away and it was my turn to order in front of the counter.

“Morning Marcel,” I greeted the boy behind the counter.

“Morning Avril,” he beamed at me, “the usual?”

“Yes,” I nodded, “need energy for the big and hectic day ahead. If you got time after work today, maybe you could come and join the Educate A Child campaign/movement taking place, just #tag EAC and you will be notified of where we are.”

“I will do that and thanks for informing me. Your coffee is coming up-“

“Right after he serves me.”

I heard someone say, and I turned around to see a tall, handsome, blonde-haired man in a blue suit say. There were two other men in black suits behind him wearing thick glasses and I almost rolled my eyes at the level of vainness that was present in the man standing beside me.

This was the first time and so it felt weird, but I developed a quick dislike for him by just staring at him that I was forced to look away for fear of saying something nasty.

I smiled at Marcel and placed my money on the counter, ignoring the nonsense the suited man had said earlier.

Marcel didn’t pick up my money which was the first and he turned to the man in a suit and asked him, “What can I get you?”