11 - judge

“But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?”
~Bastille (Pompeii)

“Is mom home?” I ask Alex as I see him outside, spreading out the bedsheets he’d probably washed on the ropes to dry in the sun.

He turns to look at me with a little frown on his face. “Yeah, she’s inside. It's nice to see you, Avril.”

The feeling isn’t mutual and I don’t respond, so I nod and make my way into the house.

“Mom?” I call once inside, “mom it’s me, Avril.”

“Oh, Avril honey; I’m over here in the room.” Comes her happy voice and I make my way into her room and find her on the bed reading her novel.

At my entrance, she drops the novel on the bed and smiles warmly at me before beckoning me to come closer. I make my way to her side and sit beside her, taking a moment to get comfortable before speaking.

“How are you, mom?”

“I’m doing good, Avril,” she responds happily as she laces her finger in mine.

“I’m sorry I haven’t been able to visit in a while,” I trail off with my eyes dropping.

“Oh nonsense, you’ve got school and books and all the other things going on in your life, so it’s all forgiven.”

“How have things been with you? I saw Alex outside.” I trail off and I see her expression changes a little in discomfort.

“You don’t sound too thrilled about that.” She points out, looking at me.

“I’m not,” I honestly reply. “When I said give him another chance, I meant to give him another chance not, make him move in with you.”

“He’s helping me a lot, Avril, and if you haven’t noticed, I can’t walk and so I can’t do most of the things I used to do before. I can’t afford a maid and you are not here either-“

I get up from beside her. “Are you blaming me for your decision?”

“I’m not Avril, believe me, I’m not. None of this is my fault. He knows I still don’t trust him, and he’s still yet to get the money we need back, so Alex offers to help and I couldn’t refuse. He’s been helping me a lot, with the chores and cleaning, he takes me to work-“

I can’t stop pacing and as much as I’d like to see only the good side, there is a bad side. “And in return?”

“What?”

“What do you give him in return?” I ask again, since she doesn’t seem to understand what I’m getting at.

“Avril?!” she exclaims in disbelief with wide eyes.

“Your body? What’s left of it anyway, because men always want something in return!”

“I want something in return,” I hear Alex’s voice say, and I turn around to see him at the door.

“What is it you want?” Felicity asks, looking at him. She seems to expect his response more than she should.

“Your forgiveness to start with and your trust. I want your body too. Only a fool wouldn’t, but I’ll wait to deserve it.” He tells Felicity before looking at me, “I get it. You want your mom to be happy and safe. I stood by mine until the day she died, so I understand how you feel, but you have my words. I was a fool once, and I’m not ready to be one again.”

He walks over to her side and sits down before taking her hand in his. “I love you, City, and I’ll do whatever it takes to see you happy.”

.